Cpeterson
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cell Bio C

Post by Cpeterson »

Science Zone wrote:Can I get a practice test for cell bio. thanks in advance
Go to the test exchange, that's where any tests will be if people have them.
Starapollo1
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

Hello, I went to the test exchange and went over the virginia practice test but i can't seem to find an answer key. Does anyone here know a link to it? Or perhaps a way to get to on the site that i missed? It would be really helpful for me so if someone gets a chance it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Ostonzi

Post by Ostonzi »

Cpeterson wrote:On one of my last invitational tests, it listed a series of DNA sequences and asked which was the most stable. How do you tell if a sequence is stable? There were no issues in matching base pairs or stuff like that.
That cell diagram was messed up. It didn't tell us the maximum score. bullshi.

lol. the ones with most triple hydrogen bonds is most stable. aka. guanine-cytosine pairs. i can't wait to beat wayzata at states. their cheap invitationals test pigeon me off.
Cpeterson

Post by Cpeterson »

Yeah, I just found that out. I tried actually reading the AP Bio book and I learned a few things. Who knew? I'm wondering what school you are from, Ostonzi, since I didn't know anyone from around us was on the forums.
naureeng309
State: NY

Post by naureeng309 »

Hello :)

It will be my first time doing the Cell Biology event next year at Regionals in NYC. I really want to do well and I'm taking AP BIO now (junior year). What textbooks/books/sites did you guys read to to prepare for this event? I have a copy of Campbell and Reece for AP Bio. Also, do you guys have any general tips for studying biology and doing well on the cell biology event?

Thanks!
not2rowdy
State: MI

practice cell biology tests for C?

Post by not2rowdy »

Does anyone have any pracetice cell biology tests that they could send me? please? i need some help. this is more for a class then science olympiad.
PLEASE!!
~i wanted to fall off the face of the earth but now i want earth to hold on to me a little bit longer
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

naureeng309 wrote:Hello :)

It will be my first time doing the Cell Biology event next year at Regionals in NYC. I really want to do well and I'm taking AP BIO now (junior year). What textbooks/books/sites did you guys read to to prepare for this event? I have a copy of Campbell and Reece for AP Bio. Also, do you guys have any general tips for studying biology and doing well on the cell biology event?

Thanks!
The Campbell and Reece book has a LOT of good information for this event. Last year, I picked up Cell Bio the day before Nationals (someone couldnt come, so we had to do her events), and I luckily brought my AP Bio book. It had a lot of stuff that was very useful, with good diagrams as well.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

Hey so besides the general information about the cell cycle, order it goes in, what happens, etc. What all do we need to know concerning it? I know the rules have an emphasis on mitosis, but my real question is how in depth should we study it? I have most of the major proteins that help with the cell cycle down and yet i've seen questions on tests about specficics that not even the AP book covers. In a perfect world I'd be able to spend all my time on the cell cycle but obviously i can't and need to study other areas of cell as well. Any thoughts?
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Cpeterson

Post by Cpeterson »

So, I have access to my state test, but it is just questions from various sites and from the Cambell Reece books. And it's 400-ish questions. Is it worth it to put up?
Glacierguy1

Post by Glacierguy1 »

Yes.
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.

Return to “2010 Study Events”