Astronomy C

walkingstyx
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by walkingstyx »

JustDroobles wrote:The spectral lines of two stars in a particular eclipsing binary system shift back and forth with a period of 8.00 months. The lines of both stars shift by equal amounts, and the amount of the Doppler shift indicates that each star has an orbital speed of 9.00×10^4. What are the masses of the two stars? Assume that each of the two stars traces a circular orbit around their center of mass.

How would you solve this?
Just use Kepler's Third Law.
m1+m2=t^2/a^3.
They give you the period in the first part (3/4 years), and with the period and the speed, you can find out the distance the stars travel (d=vt). Once you know that they are orbiting in circles, you can see that the distance in the circumference, and use that to find out the average separation of the stars. Now you have both t and a. By the fact that both stars are going the same speed, you can tell that they are the same mass, so you have all of the parts of the equation. Just make sure that your units are in years, solar masses, and AU.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
Suzumebachi
Division: C
State: CT

Post by Suzumebachi »

Had States competition... and didn't know a thing about Supernovae, so therefore, I failed at the first 3 pages. Out of 5. But still scraped a 5th place, saved by downloading a lot of wikipedia pages onto my computer :P

My partner conveniently broke his hand the day before :o
FHS / CT
2012: Forestry- 1st Astronomy- 2nd Protein Modelling- 5th Helicopters-18th OVERALL: 4th
2011: Sounds of Music- 10th Ornithology- 1st Fossils- 7th Astronomy- 7th OVERALL: 8th
2010: Astronomy - 5th Ornithology - 1st Elevated Bridge 12th Picture This- ? OVERALL: 16th
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

Suzumebachi wrote:Had States competition... and didn't know a thing about Supernovae, so therefore, I failed at the first 3 pages. Out of 5. But still scraped a 5th place, saved by downloading a lot of wikipedia pages onto my computer :P

My partner conveniently broke his hand the day before :o
What did they ask about Supernovae?
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
sunjayc99
State: WA

Post by sunjayc99 »

I've been having a bit of trouble trying to find a value of Hubble's constant to use for equations since all of the values I've found are estimates.
Would I be better off just asking the proctor what value they used before the test?
Also, how would one use the constant to determine the age of the universe (in years)?
manutd94
State: PA

Post by manutd94 »

sunjayc99 wrote:I've been having a bit of trouble trying to find a value of Hubble's constant to use for equations since all of the values I've found are estimates.
Would I be better off just asking the proctor what value they used before the test?
Also, how would one use the constant to determine the age of the universe (in years)?
The value of 65 km/s/mpc is most commonly used (as the Hubble constant). However, values may differ between 50 and 80 km/s/mpc depending on the proctor, so it is best to ask for clarification before the test. As for the age of the universe, if you know hubble's law stating: v = H * d, you can rewrite it so that 1/H = d/v. d/v is equivalent to t (time), so you would go from there and convert as needed to years. :D
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

sunjayc99 wrote:I've been having a bit of trouble trying to find a value of Hubble's constant to use for equations since all of the values I've found are estimates.
Like the person above me wrote, the most accurate value is estimated to be 65 km/s/mpc. The test however will give you the value of hubble's constant in the question or on a reference sheet if you need it. And the value they give you is often not 65 km/s/mpc. If you are sure you are not given a value, make sure you need it to answer the problem, and then ask the proctor.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
manutd94

Post by manutd94 »

Everyone better vote in the poll: What is your favorite celestial object? :D

4 life-changing years.
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

I have a question for you guys regarding binders.
According to my friend who does this event, you're allowed a laptop with files on it or any size binder. He has this absolutely massive binder that I argue Is actually counter-productive since it takes so long to look through--even with various post it markings. I say to him, couldn't you just have a laptop and use cntrl-F to find things. Thoughts?
E Edgar
State: IN

Post by E Edgar »

I use a small binder of important equations and some info on each DSO. There is no point swamping a binder with piles of information that will almost certainly not come up.

If you want a huge data reservoir, I would guess that a laptop would be your best bet.

Hope that helps.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
manutd94

Post by manutd94 »

fmtiger124 wrote:I have a question for you guys regarding binders.
According to my friend who does this event, you're allowed a laptop with files on it or any size binder. He has this absolutely massive binder that I argue Is actually counter-productive since it takes so long to look through--even with various post it markings. I say to him, couldn't you just have a laptop and use cntrl-F to find things. Thoughts?
This friend, you say, has the right idea. Making such a large binder not only helps you attain lots of information about the subject, but also helps you learn the information through the process of making the binder. I do the same thing and even though the ctrl F on the laptop may seem easier, some of the questions people have to find on the laptop people with the binder would already know without even having to search through the thing. :)

4 life-changing years.

Return to “2010 Study Events”