Astronomy C

walkingstyx
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by walkingstyx »

There wasn't an especially strong focus on anything this year, though there was some ds9 software analysis again, and the normal questions you would expect about the DSOs and simple math. The test was a little different this year, as they had one more supervisor than before. It was also really hard, 20% longer than last year with more short essays and more hard/conceptual math. Without a doubt the hardest test I've ever taken, and one of the better ones too.
I remember a few questions, one about the density needed to become a black hole, one about a recent spectrum of epsilon aurigae, one about the distance modulus and cepheid period luminosity relation, a few conceptual ones about the shape of galaxies and the Tully-Fisher relation, a few about Stephan-Boltzmann's law.
Did anyone else here sign up to help with writing the test next year?
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

I wasn't sure if I heard correctly or not, but did the Event Supervisor say that the event will or will not be on the Wright Center?
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
walkingstyx
State: TX

Post by walkingstyx »

I don't remember him actually saying anything about that, but i don't know why they wouldn't put it up this year.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
E Edgar
State: IN

Post by E Edgar »

There was a note on the front page saying the test would be posted on a website but it did not specify which. I would assume tufts.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

walkingstyx wrote: Did anyone else here sign up to help with writing the test next year?
They asked people for help writing the test?!
and thanks so much for answering my question.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
salcedam
State: IL

Post by salcedam »

GAH! I really want to know the DSOs for next year...I wish it didn't take so long. XD
2011 - 2012 Season Results:
Whiting, IN - Astro (1st), 4N6 (2nd), Fermi (2nd)
Boyceville, WI - Astro (3rd), 4N6 (1st)
Belvidere, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (2nd)
WSU, OH - 4N6 (12th)
Loyola, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st), TPS (3rd)
OCC Regional - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st)
UCF Nationals - 4N6 (8th)
pjgscioisamazing

I wish they would put up the event! :o I still kinda remember my answers, so I wanna see what I got wrong/right

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
yousmellchinese123

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

Can someone help me with a website or something on the basic math used in Astro.
I did astro this year and my mind pretty much was blank on the math section, so I want to get better for next year.
I need help on things that usually pop up because I have no clue what to do actually, things like parallax and changing of units. I had the formula sheet from the wiki, and knew the variables but I had no application skills ):

Please and Thank you!
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:I wish they would put up the event! :o I still kinda remember my answers, so I wanna see what I got wrong/right
when do they usually put it up in previous years? After they publish the test packet on the soinc website?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
pjgscioisamazing

smartkid222 wrote:
pjgscioisamazing wrote:I wish they would put up the event! :o I still kinda remember my answers, so I wanna see what I got wrong/right
when do they usually put it up in previous years? After they publish the test packet on the soinc website?
They normally have it up pretty quickly, but they aren't using wright center anymore, so they don't know when they will put it up

Return to “2010 Study Events”