Astronomy C

celtics09
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by celtics09 »

What resources did u guys use at state? If at all possible, could u guys send me the resources?

thanks,
celtics09
Washington DC Nationals - 2008
Astronomy 27th
Fermi Questions 21st
Team 16th

Augusta Nationals-2009
Astronomy 18th
Technical Problem Solving 4th
Team 25th
pjgscioisamazing
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

Flavorflav wrote:
pjgscioisamazing wrote:Also, there was a multiple choice question about our local group and the choices were that its:

A) An irregular group within a supercluster
B) A regular group within a supercluster
C) An irregular group not in a supercluster
D) A regular group not in a supercluster

OR something to that effect

I know that we are in a supercluster (Virgo Supercluster), but I don't know if our group is irregular or regular... Anyone know out there?
Well, it's shaped like a dog bone or a dumbbell. My guess, that would count as irregular.

What did you think of the test overall?
I thought it was a very good test... I focus on DSO's/Galaxy/THings of that nature, while my partner focuses on Math/Physics, and I thought the questions were pretty easy. I did like the graphing and charting we had to do though, although I had to double check my "HR" graph cause of the logarithmic scale :lol: My partner said a few math questions were weird..

Overall, good test, good questions.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

The rules say we may have to analyze light curves... can anyone give me an example of that would look like, and what kind of questions would go along with it?
pjgscioisamazing

JustDroobles wrote:The rules say we may have to analyze light curves... can anyone give me an example of that would look like, and what kind of questions would go along with it?
I would think one question would be to ID what kind of variable star a certain light curve is for. Also, I've seen a question asking about the light curve of Epsilon Aurigae at every competition I've been at so far (Invitationals, Regionals, and States). they gave the picture of the light curve and asked which object it is (Epsilon Aurigae)

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

The spectral lines of two stars in a particular eclipsing binary system shift back and forth with a period of 8.00 months. The lines of both stars shift by equal amounts, and the amount of the Doppler shift indicates that each star has an orbital speed of 9.00×10^4. What are the masses of the two stars? Assume that each of the two stars traces a circular orbit around their center of mass.

How would you solve this?
walkingstyx
State: TX

Post by walkingstyx »

JustDroobles wrote:The spectral lines of two stars in a particular eclipsing binary system shift back and forth with a period of 8.00 months. The lines of both stars shift by equal amounts, and the amount of the Doppler shift indicates that each star has an orbital speed of 9.00×10^4. What are the masses of the two stars? Assume that each of the two stars traces a circular orbit around their center of mass.

How would you solve this?
Just use Kepler's Third Law.
m1+m2=t^2/a^3.
They give you the period in the first part (3/4 years), and with the period and the speed, you can find out the distance the stars travel (d=vt). Once you know that they are orbiting in circles, you can see that the distance in the circumference, and use that to find out the average separation of the stars. Now you have both t and a. By the fact that both stars are going the same speed, you can tell that they are the same mass, so you have all of the parts of the equation. Just make sure that your units are in years, solar masses, and AU.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
Suzumebachi
State: CT

Post by Suzumebachi »

Had States competition... and didn't know a thing about Supernovae, so therefore, I failed at the first 3 pages. Out of 5. But still scraped a 5th place, saved by downloading a lot of wikipedia pages onto my computer :P

My partner conveniently broke his hand the day before :o
FHS / CT
2012: Forestry- 1st Astronomy- 2nd Protein Modelling- 5th Helicopters-18th OVERALL: 4th
2011: Sounds of Music- 10th Ornithology- 1st Fossils- 7th Astronomy- 7th OVERALL: 8th
2010: Astronomy - 5th Ornithology - 1st Elevated Bridge 12th Picture This- ? OVERALL: 16th
pjgscioisamazing

Suzumebachi wrote:Had States competition... and didn't know a thing about Supernovae, so therefore, I failed at the first 3 pages. Out of 5. But still scraped a 5th place, saved by downloading a lot of wikipedia pages onto my computer :P

My partner conveniently broke his hand the day before :o
What did they ask about Supernovae?

sunjayc99
State: WA

Post by sunjayc99 »

I've been having a bit of trouble trying to find a value of Hubble's constant to use for equations since all of the values I've found are estimates.
Would I be better off just asking the proctor what value they used before the test?
Also, how would one use the constant to determine the age of the universe (in years)?
manutd94
State: PA

Post by manutd94 »

sunjayc99 wrote:I've been having a bit of trouble trying to find a value of Hubble's constant to use for equations since all of the values I've found are estimates.
Would I be better off just asking the proctor what value they used before the test?
Also, how would one use the constant to determine the age of the universe (in years)?
The value of 65 km/s/mpc is most commonly used (as the Hubble constant). However, values may differ between 50 and 80 km/s/mpc depending on the proctor, so it is best to ask for clarification before the test. As for the age of the universe, if you know hubble's law stating: v = H * d, you can rewrite it so that 1/H = d/v. d/v is equivalent to t (time), so you would go from there and convert as needed to years. :D
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.

Return to “2010 Study Events”