Astronomy C

smarticle13
Division: B
State: TX

Re: Astronomy C

Postby smarticle13 » March 2nd, 2010, 4:04 pm

is astronomy for division C like solar system for division B, except harder?
13 Medals:
Dynamic Planet (2nd place and 3rd place)
Elevated Bridge (3rd place)
Meteorology (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 3rd place and another one at State!)
Road Scholar (1st place)
Shock Value (3rd place)
Solar System (1st place, 4th place)
We've Got Your Number (1st place)

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » March 2nd, 2010, 6:09 pm

No. Closer to Reach for the Stars only more focused on a topic - currently galaxies, previously variable stars- and much more math. Physics based Astronomy rather than Observational Astronomy.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

wyu1229

Postby wyu1229 » March 3rd, 2010, 8:47 am

Can anyone explain to me how to locate lyman, balmer and paschen absorption lines on a chart of stellar spectra and how you determine the strongest to weakest line? Essentially, its quesiton number 64 on 2002 Delaware Nationals; here's the link to the tests:
http://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/p ... astro.html
and can anyone explain to me what average rate of expansion is? and is there a formula for it? Thanks

wyu1229

Postby wyu1229 » March 3rd, 2010, 4:14 pm

Also, can someone post an exam that tests on all the 2010 DSO's? My team needs some practice problems on DSO's I have a lot of previous exams, but the DSO's change every year, I believe :(

smarticle13
State: TX

Postby smarticle13 » March 3rd, 2010, 6:29 pm

can someone give me some good sites for the absorption and emission spectrum?
13 Medals:
Dynamic Planet (2nd place and 3rd place)
Elevated Bridge (3rd place)
Meteorology (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 3rd place and another one at State!)
Road Scholar (1st place)
Shock Value (3rd place)
Solar System (1st place, 4th place)
We've Got Your Number (1st place)

TheBalticSea
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby TheBalticSea » March 4th, 2010, 2:45 pm

I did astronomy at the western long island regionals and now my team is going to NY states, so i was just wondering how the two tests are different. Is the states test much harder? More physics? Is there a stellarium involved? (<-- i thought i heard someone mention something about that)
Thanks!
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
2012: Astro, Dynamic Planet, Optics, Remote Sensing
2011: Astro, Dynamic Planet, R.I.P. Picture This
2010: Astro, Picture This, Dynamic Planet, Write It Do It

gogofofo
Division: C
State: IL

Postby gogofofo » March 6th, 2010, 7:59 am

Can anyone explain to me how to locate lyman, balmer and paschen absorption lines on a chart of stellar spectra and how you determine the strongest to weakest line? Essentially, its quesiton number 64 on 2002 Delaware Nationals; here's the link to the tests:
and can anyone explain to me what average rate of expansion is? and is there a formula for it? Thanks
The average rate of expansion is given by Hubble's constant and is usually given in km/sec/Mpc. It is calculated, then, by dividing the recessional velocity of an object by its distance from us.
State
2009: 1st Forensics, 1st Astronomy, 3rd Remote Sensing
2010: 1st Forensics, 1st Astro
2011: 1st Forensics, 2nd Astro, 1st TPS

Nationals
2009: 10th Forensics, 3rd Astronomy, 11th Remote Sensing
2010: 1st Forensics, 9th Astronomy
2011: 2nd Forensics, 8th Astronomy, 10th TPS

TheBalticSea

Postby TheBalticSea » March 6th, 2010, 2:58 pm

the formula is v= (Ho)(d)
^ that's supposed to be H sub o, or H naught (sorry! don't know how to use LaTeX)
H naught is roughly 71 km/sec/Mpc
This holds true for all galaxies that are redshifted.. which is pretty much all of them except the two nearest, M33 and M31.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

TheBalticSea

Postby TheBalticSea » March 6th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Hello everyone !

I'm planning on doing the Astronomy event. I took it this year at Regionals and I did not do well =( There was a lot of conceptual stuff I didn't know. The calculations weren't too bad.

I want to do a lot better next year. What books and sites did you guys use to study astronomy? Any good links =]? Also, how did you guys study the deep sky objects? I have trouble identifying them based on images (I'm a total newbie lol). So any tips on how to get started :) ?
Space.com is a really good resource for general info. Also, I see you live in NY, so if you live within 70 miles (at least I think it's 70...) you might want to consider Columbia's science honors program, which is held on saturday mornings. They offer a lot of great science classes, many of them in astronomy and physics. Plus, it's free :D
and Brian Greene came to speak today!! that was pretty cool

Oglop_Master
Division: C
State: NC

Postby Oglop_Master » March 17th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Hey... This seems like an odd question, but if you have a laptop that you bring in, is it legal to save websites that you can open without being connected to the Internet to use? So while I may be using my Internet browser to view the page, I won't be connected to the Internet.

Return to “2010 Study Events”