Bogoradwee
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Bogoradwee »

winneratlife wrote:
jazzy009 wrote:If you are given a map and you're supposed to estimate the area, what should you use?
Apparently transparencies aren't allowed. Meh, my teammates would like to know.

A ruler?

Anyways, does anybody have any hard tests? Say, from nats last year, or states (preferably a competitive state?) or a really competitive invitational? Say, Bishop Foley (since bogoradwee got 9th with 25.2%, I'm assuming it was hard)? I'd really like to take those. Put them on the test exchange.
sure, i'll post it on monday, seeing as that's the next time i'll be at school. at least i think i got a 25.2%... it just said 25.2 on it, so i assumed that it was a percentage
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

Bogoradwee wrote:
winneratlife wrote:
jazzy009 wrote:If you are given a map and you're supposed to estimate the area, what should you use?

A ruler?

Anyways, does anybody have any hard tests? Say, from nats last year, or states (preferably a competitive state?) or a really competitive invitational? Say, Bishop Foley (since bogoradwee got 9th with 25.2%, I'm assuming it was hard)? I'd really like to take those. Put them on the test exchange.
sure, i'll post it on monday, seeing as that's the next time i'll be at school. at least i think i got a 25.2%... it just said 25.2 on it, so i assumed that it was a percentage
Great, thanks a ton.
evbassboy13
State: MN

Post by evbassboy13 »

winneratlife wrote:

A ruler?

I don't think rulers are allowed (I don't have the rules handy, though, so I could be wrong). When I did it a couple invites ago, the proctor said we couldn't use rulers, and transparencies could be disallowed because they could be seen as rulers. We argued that they weren't rulers because there was no scale, so he switched it up and said they weren't paper. Thoughts? I'm one of Jazzy's teammates, by the way - though I'm not doing RS anymore.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

2. a and b say five sheets of paper and a non-graphing calculator. No other resources are permitted.
evbassboy13
State: MN

Post by evbassboy13 »

Flavorflav wrote:Five sheets of paper and a non-graphing calculator. No other resources are permitted.
Thought so. So how are you guys measuring areas on maps?
Bogoradwee

Post by Bogoradwee »

evbassboy13 wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Five sheets of paper and a non-graphing calculator. No other resources are permitted.
Maybe you should get really good at estimating lengths? It's also a possibility that rulers could be provided.
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI
Earthsci_dude

Post by Earthsci_dude »

Bogoradwee wrote:
evbassboy13 wrote:
Maybe you should get really good at estimating lengths? It's also a possibility that rulers could be provided.

i drew a ruler on the edge of one of my sheets...
although so far every time i've needed one the event sup provided a ruler
[MCC SO - '04, '05, '06] [NN SO - '07, '08, '09, '10]

glue boy.
crazyredhead42
Division: C
State: GA

Post by crazyredhead42 »

I've had a ruler provided for me each time I've needed it.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

evbassboy13 wrote:
winneratlife wrote:

A ruler?

I don't think rulers are allowed (I don't have the rules handy, though, so I could be wrong). When I did it a couple invites ago, the proctor said we couldn't use rulers, and transparencies could be disallowed because they could be seen as rulers. We argued that they weren't rulers because there was no scale, so he switched it up and said they weren't paper. Thoughts? I'm one of Jazzy's teammates, by the way - though I'm not doing RS anymore.
So what weird region are you guys in? It seems totally unreasonable that a proctor would make you measure a distance without a ruler or transparencies. You could draw a ruler on your sheets, but still... What's the point of not allowing rulers? Is "estimating distances" in the event parameters?

EDIT: Bogoradwee... where's the test?
crazyredhead42
Division: C
State: GA

Post by crazyredhead42 »

It's required in the rules that the Test proctors MUST provide a ruler if a ruler will be needed for any part of the competition.
I've personally never had to draw a PDG to answer any of the test questions. :?

Return to “2010 Study Events”