Remote Sensing C

Celeste
Division: C
State: NE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Celeste »

smarticle13 wrote:I am not in division c, but what is remoting sensing? :)
"Participants will use remote sensing imagery, science and mathematical process skills to complete tasks related to an understanding of the causes and consequences of human interaction with forest biomes." - Remote Sensing rules 2010

It's basically the interpretation of satellite images. We have to know stuff about the imaging satellites, like their sensors, collection methods, what parts of the electromagnetic spectrum they use, and stuff like that. We also have to know about forest biomes. Many of the images are of forest areas and we have to do things like find rates of deforestation. Look at the wiki page for more info.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Celeste wrote:
smarticle13 wrote:I am not in division c, but what is remoting sensing? :)
"Participants will use remote sensing imagery, science and mathematical process skills to complete tasks related to an understanding of the causes and consequences of human interaction with forest biomes." - Remote Sensing rules 2010

It's basically the interpretation of satellite images. We have to know stuff about the imaging satellites, like their sensors, collection methods, what parts of the electromagnetic spectrum they use, and stuff like that. We also have to know about forest biomes. Many of the images are of forest areas and we have to do things like find rates of deforestation. Look at the wiki page for more info.
Yes...
Most definitely read the wiki...
Except that I put it together, so imo, it's not nearly as comprehensive as it needs to be...
Somebody with more knowledge (and wiki editing skills) wanna add to it?
greywolfst1

Post by greywolfst1 »

I used to coach Science Olympiad in Indiana. Currently I am working on my PhD in remote sensing at University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I saw several comments about recommended reading. I highly recommend both of John Jensen's books on remote sensing (Remote Sensing of the Environment and Advanced Digital Image Processing) though the first is probably the most useful.

I know this event can be difficult to study for since there are not very many practice tests out there. In my opinion you should know the different types of platforms (i.e. radar, lidar etc). I wrote one of the regional test for Nebraska and I posted it on my university's ftp server which can be reached at:

ftp://snrftp.unl.edu/Outgoing/Science%20Olympiad/

I do not make any promises on how long it will stay up. Good luck!
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

greywolfst1 wrote:I used to coach Science Olympiad in Indiana. Currently I am working on my PhD in remote sensing at University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I saw several comments about recommended reading. I highly recommend both of John Jensen's books on remote sensing (Remote Sensing of the Environment and Advanced Digital Image Processing) though the first is probably the most useful.

I know this event can be difficult to study for since there are not very many practice tests out there. In my opinion you should know the different types of platforms (i.e. radar, lidar etc). I wrote one of the regional test for Nebraska and I posted it on my university's ftp server which can be reached at:

Thanx...
A couple things?
Can we use it on our test exchange? (If not, at least add the link?)
Could you please repost it in Word 97-03 Compatibility Mode?
greywolfst1

Post by greywolfst1 »

winneratlife wrote:
greywolfst1 wrote:I used to coach Science Olympiad in Indiana. Currently I am working on my PhD in remote sensing at University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I saw several comments about recommended reading. I highly recommend both of John Jensen's books on remote sensing (Remote Sensing of the Environment and Advanced Digital Image Processing) though the first is probably the most useful.

Thanx...
A couple things?

I don't care if you put it on the test exchange. I added MS Word 97-03 files and PDF versions to the ftp link.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

greywolfst1 wrote:
winneratlife wrote:

Thanx...
A couple things?

I don't care if you put it on the test exchange. I added MS Word 97-03 files and PDF versions to the ftp link.

Whoaaaaaaa...

Regionals is tomorrow, and now I'm worried...
I was expecting an easy gold (I got one at a invitational ten times harder than our regionals) but now I'm not half as sure... :shock:
That's one hard test...

Well, I added it to the test exchange!
Thanx for the test...and the wake-up call!
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Dude, I took that test! It was really interesting, plus my partner and I got first! And hooray for someone else from Nebraska posting something :D
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
crazyredhead42
State: GA

Post by crazyredhead42 »

Hey Guys,
I had a question on my regional test that I haven't figured out how to answer. Does anyone know how to solve this one?

Assume that the spatial resolution of the satellite imaging system that took these images was 79 meters. What does that mean in terms of the pixel size in Image 1? Be specific with respect to image distance on paper.

If there's anymore information that you need, I'll be sure to post it!

Thanks!
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I know absolutely nothing about this event. Looks like I got my partner to thank for the medals I got here.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

crazyredhead42 wrote:Hey Guys,
I had a question on my regional test that I haven't figured out how to answer. Does anyone know how to solve this one?

Assume that the spatial resolution of the satellite imaging system that took these images was 79 meters. What does that mean in terms of the pixel size in Image 1? Be specific with respect to image distance on paper.

If there's anymore information that you need, I'll be sure to post it!

Thanks!

I think that means 1 pixel = 79m

Return to “2010 Study Events”