Remote Sensing C

gsheni
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by gsheni »

I am in the same situation. I looked at the tests but i still can't what information i should be looking at. I really need help making my notes and knowing what to study. If someone could please direct or pm me on what i need to study, and where i can start making my notes. This was thrown at me at the last minute because our coaches want ever event filled for states.

PLEASE I NEED HELP, STATES IS IN 4 WEEKS!@!@#$@#!@#
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

yoyo1299 wrote:2) I never said they were RS champions, i meant just overall champions. At least that's what i've been told by them.
Overall champions in Tennessee maybe, but definitely not nationals. Last year they only got 27th, which is relatively far from winning it all. If that's what they told you, that they are national champs, then they're likely lying. :roll:

@gsheni, I would suggest looking up everything on the rules to make sure you are familiar with them, since almost anything on there can be asked for on the test. I think that most of the test tends to be on satellites and principles and types of remote sensing, but it really depends on the supervisor. Also, check the Remote Sensing Wiki since it has links to several resources and tests.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
yoyo1299
State: TN

Post by yoyo1299 »

Have they never been national champs from way way back? That's the impression I got from some of them. I know they're state champs, they beat us every year at State. I may have just heard them wrong. Either way, they're a strong competitor.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I don't believe they have. I looked on the Oak Ridge High School Wiki and the Tennessee Wiki, and neither place said that they won nationally. Also, i checked the table of past tournament winners and it doesn't look like they have won. But they definitely have won several state championships.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

gsheni wrote:I am in the same situation. I looked at the tests but i still can't what information i should be looking at. I really need help making my notes and knowing what to study. If someone could please direct or pm me on what i need to study, and where i can start making my notes. This was thrown at me at the last minute because our coaches want ever event filled for states.

PLEASE I NEED HELP, STATES IS IN 4 WEEKS!@!@#$@#!@#
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
yoyo1299 wrote:2) I never said they were RS champions, i meant just overall champions. At least that's what i've been told by them.
Overall champions in Tennessee maybe, but definitely not nationals. Last year they only got 27th, which is relatively far from winning it all. If that's what they told you, that they are national champs, then they're likely lying. :roll:

@gsheni, I would suggest looking up everything on the rules to make sure you are familiar with them, since almost anything on there can be asked for on the test. I think that most of the test tends to be on satellites and principles and types of remote sensing, but it really depends on the supervisor. Also, check the Remote Sensing Wiki since it has links to several resources and tests.
The links are either outdated or useless (i.e. apply to former ways the event was run, like... Mars?... I believe)

To both of you, I'd suggest reading the ccrs tutorial here:
http://www.ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca/resource/tu ... tals_e.pdf

It helped me a ton. It's a lot about the concepts of remote sensing.

After that, if you have time, try this:
http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/Front/tofc.html

I personally haven't read it all, but it seems really useful. However, it's really dense and advanced.

You could also find textbooks, use wikipedia, etc.

I'll try to edit the wiki later with more relevant stuff.

EDIT: Edited wiki. Added glossary you two might want to check out.
Last edited by winneratlife on February 9th, 2010, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

No, we only got 27th because we had some team issues. It's far worse this year. We would've done better. No we haven't won nationals.
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
Gooblah

Post by Gooblah »

A quick tip:

I've found that if you size your text right, you don't NEED 5 pages front and back. Instead, my teammate and I reserved one of the pages for a sheet of graph paper.

If the test asks for area estimation, ask the proctor for a ruler (or bring your own), create a scale on the graph paper, and trace the image whose area needs to be estimated onto the graphing paper (as they are normally translucent). The presence of a grid makes life a lot (!) easier.

Also, in terms of 'satellites'...what do tests normally ask for? I mean, what missions are currently active, the tools they use, stuff like that?
Events: Remote Sensing, Chem. Lab, It's About Time, Dynamic Planet, Mission Possible, Env. Chem. The latter two I found out I had to do 4 weeks before Regionals. Fun, fun, fun.
evbassboy13
State: MN

Post by evbassboy13 »

Gooblah wrote:A quick tip:

I've found that if you size your text right, you don't NEED 5 pages front and back. Instead, my teammate and I reserved one of the pages for a sheet of graph paper.
Yep. Small text is your friend. What sorts of information are you putting on your cheat sheet? I can't imagine putting together five pages on satellite information, and the image interpretation is something you just have to know (in my opinion).
Gooblah wrote:If the test asks for area estimation, ask the proctor for a ruler (or bring your own), create a scale on the graph paper, and trace the image whose area needs to be estimated onto the graphing paper (as they are normally translucent). The presence of a grid makes life a lot (!) easier.
Your maps are translucent? Huh. All the ones I've gotten have been on actual paper. How do you trace that onto your graph paper? Just hold it up to the light?
Unless you mean your grid is translucent (which makes more sense). If that's the case, I tried bringing an overhead sheet with graph paper printed on it one time, and was not allowed to use it because it wasn't really paper.
Gooblah wrote: Also, in terms of 'satellites'...what do tests normally ask for? I mean, what missions are currently active, the tools they use, stuff like that?
Most of what I've seen on the "satellite" side has been imaging information. For example, "What sensors does this satellite use?" or "How many different sensors are on this one?" I haven't seen any questions on what missions are currently active. That said, the more you know, the better off you are. :D
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

Gooblah wrote:A quick tip:

If the test asks for area estimation, ask the proctor for a ruler (or bring your own), create a scale on the graph paper, and trace the image whose area needs to be estimated onto the graphing paper (as they are normally translucent). The presence of a grid makes life a lot (!) easier.

Also, in terms of 'satellites'...what do tests normally ask for? I mean, what missions are currently active, the tools they use, stuff like that?
Meh, I use all 5 pages even with size 8 font...

My one invitational this year didn't ask anything about specific satellites, it was more about the concepts involved in remote sensing, physics of electromagnetic radiation, types of scattering and target interactions, etc.
binary010101

Post by binary010101 »

I can't seem to find enough information to take up all the pages. (Or am I just being lazy?)
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

Return to “2010 Study Events”