Remote Sensing C

Mimsie
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Mimsie »

Smallest thing that it can detect is 79 meters in size. I'm not sure what it has to do with pixel size though. Was there any other given information? As in the ppi or something?
This IS SPARTA!! - Proud Grad of Seven Lakes Science Olympiad
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Mimsie wrote:Smallest thing that it can detect is 79 meters in size. I'm not sure what it has to do with pixel size though. Was there any other given information? As in the ppi or something?
Yeah, but I'm assuming smallest thing is 1 pixel? I don't think the sensor can produce anything smaller, and that's the definition/limitation of the pixel.
Mimsie
State: TX

Post by Mimsie »

Edit: Winneratlife is right. Spatial resolution of 79 meters means that each pixel is 79metersx79meters.
This IS SPARTA!! - Proud Grad of Seven Lakes Science Olympiad
binary010101
State: PA

Post by binary010101 »

If you have a scaled image, you have to square the scale to find area, correct?
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

Mimsie wrote:Edit: Winneratlife is right. Spatial resolution of 79 meters means that each pixel is 79metersx79meters.
:P
binary010101 wrote:If you have a scaled image, you have to square the scale to find area, correct?
If you mean to find the area of one square inch, and the scale is 1 in = 100 miles, then yes, because its 1 in by 1 in = 100 miles by 100 miles = 100^2 square miles.

Does somebody have a good idea of what to study for the bio portion? (I'm epic at sensors, but epic fail at bio) And where to study it?
Celeste
Division: C
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

winneratlife wrote:Does somebody have a good idea of what to study for the bio portion? (I'm epic at sensors, but epic fail at bio) And where to study it?
Check out section 5.3 on this PDF from the Canada Center for Remote Sensing:
http://www.ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca/resource/tu ... tals_e.pdf
It's got some good stuff on forests in general, plus some great things relating it back to remote sensing.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

Celeste wrote:
winneratlife wrote:Does somebody have a good idea of what to study for the bio portion? (I'm epic at sensors, but epic fail at bio) And where to study it?
Check out section 5.3 on this PDF from the Canada Center for Remote Sensing:
It's got some good stuff on forests in general, plus some great things relating it back to remote sensing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Somebody telling me to read the exact tutorial I've been telling everybody else to read? (I've read it)
winneratlife wrote:
The links are either outdated or useless (i.e. apply to former ways the event was run, like... Mars?... I believe)

To both of you, I'd suggest reading the ccrs tutorial here:

It helped me a ton. It's a lot about the concepts of remote sensing.
winneratlife wrote:
binary010101 wrote:I can't seem to find enough information to take up all the pages. (Or am I just being lazy?)
Start with the ccrs tutorial. Move on to NASA with time, or learn about the individual satellites and their systems. Throw in some of the bio. That should just about cut it, I think. Also, you can check the glossary on the Remote Sensing Wiki, I based in on the content of ccrs.
:lol:

Okay, well, anybody have any other bio resources?
Celeste
Division: C
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

winneratlife wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Somebody telling me to read the exact tutorial I've been telling everybody else to read? (I've read it)
:lol: lol, guess I wasn't paying attention. Well, you're right, it's a totally great tutorial!
Another thing I did was search Wikipedia for articles about all the different types of forests. (boreal, tropical, deciduous, etc) There's some good stuff about them there.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

for anyone else who took the New York state test this year, what were your opinions on it?
I still dont really understand why it was called remote sensing when there were barely any questions related to satellites and waves on it.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

Oh joy...my partner bailed... (he has Fed this weekend)

So now I'm stuck learning the bio ALONE!

Help please? Like... a lot of it?

Return to “2010 Study Events”