Remote Sensing C

User avatar
Celeste
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:09 pm
Division: C
State: NE
Location: Dreaming of electric sheep.
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Celeste » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:49 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:What specific satellites tend to be on the test? This is generally where i don't do as well because I'm not sure what satellites they have. There are just way too much, and I want to know which ones appear on tests more so I can focus on them.

From what I've seen, it's mostly landsat, landsat, and more landsat. :?
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

User avatar
binary010101
Member
Member
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: 美国,宾夕法尼亚州,雷丁市
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby binary010101 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:17 am

There's been some Seasat on one of my tests.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

winneratlife
Member
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby winneratlife » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:16 am

Celeste wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:What specific satellites tend to be on the test? This is generally where i don't do as well because I'm not sure what satellites they have. There are just way too much, and I want to know which ones appear on tests more so I can focus on them.

From what I've seen, it's mostly landsat, landsat, and more landsat. :?


I can't really argue with that...
That also seems logical, it's a very significant NASA series, and obviously the coordinators are doing NASA (apart from being a world leader, superpower, etc. etc., they also have to show some patriotism.)

User avatar
Bogoradwee
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: Frankenmuth
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Bogoradwee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 am

winneratlife wrote:
Celeste wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:What specific satellites tend to be on the test? This is generally where i don't do as well because I'm not sure what satellites they have. There are just way too much, and I want to know which ones appear on tests more so I can focus on them.

From what I've seen, it's mostly landsat, landsat, and more landsat. :?


I can't really argue with that...
That also seems logical, it's a very significant NASA series, and obviously the coordinators are doing NASA (apart from being a world leader, superpower, etc. etc., they also have to show some patriotism.)

lol i guess it's a good thing i invested an entire day on writing up a note sheet for landsat last week. i'm not done with it yet though
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI

overdramatic
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:33 am
Division: C
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby overdramatic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Does anybody know what specfic details might be questionsed in regard to forests? Besides the obvious deforestation and desertifications. Like, could they possibly question us on the chnage in CO2 levels in a forest over a period of time. Anything more like that?

User avatar
binary010101
Member
Member
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: 美国,宾夕法尼亚州,雷丁市
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby binary010101 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:37 pm

I've had questions where we had to identify the forest in question (Siberia).
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

mineralandrollcello
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 am
Division: C
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby mineralandrollcello » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:31 pm

overdramatic wrote:Does anybody know what specfic details might be questionsed in regard to forests? Besides the obvious deforestation and desertifications. Like, could they possibly question us on the chnage in CO2 levels in a forest over a period of time. Anything more like that?

At Nationals last year there were some questions about carbon density, but that is kind of cutting edge research if I understand correctly and unlikely to show up again.

andrewbji
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:20 am
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby andrewbji » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:32 am

overdramatic wrote:Does anybody know what specfic details might be questionsed in regard to forests? Besides the obvious deforestation and desertifications. Like, could they possibly question us on the chnage in CO2 levels in a forest over a period of time. Anything more like that?


Well, I got one that had an image of the forest spreading over time, cuz u had to figure out the forest was on a mountain region and then explain how global warming actually led to the increase in elevation of forest line. Though this question was not exactly directly related to "human impact", I thought it was a relatively fair question.
2011 Scioly. Game on.

User avatar
Bogoradwee
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: Frankenmuth
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Bogoradwee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:18 pm

lol idk why i didn't post this when it happened, but at my school's invitational, I got 3rd in remote sensing, but i'd say we had somewhat of an unfair advantage. Keep in mind we did not make this test. there was a satellite image w/ questions, and the image was of the area around our school.
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI

winneratlife
Member
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby winneratlife » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Bogoradwee wrote:lol idk why i didn't post this when it happened, but at my school's invitational, I got 3rd in remote sensing, but i'd say we had somewhat of an unfair advantage. Keep in mind we did not make this test. there was a satellite image w/ questions, and the image was of the area around our school.


Lol...in-state competition...
You're going down!

1st @ Clio = win!

Btw...
Would it help to know the old Landsats as well?

User avatar
smarticle13
Member
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:54 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Location: if I told you, I would have to kill you
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby smarticle13 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:26 am

I am not in division c, but what is remoting sensing? :)
13 Medals:
Dynamic Planet (2nd place and 3rd place)
Elevated Bridge (3rd place)
Meteorology (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 3rd place and another one at State!)
Road Scholar (1st place)
Shock Value (3rd place)
Solar System (1st place, 4th place)
We've Got Your Number (1st place)

User avatar
Celeste
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:09 pm
Division: C
State: NE
Location: Dreaming of electric sheep.
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Celeste » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:39 am

smarticle13 wrote:I am not in division c, but what is remoting sensing? :)


"Participants will use remote sensing imagery, science and mathematical process skills to complete tasks related to an understanding of the causes and consequences of human interaction with forest biomes." - Remote Sensing rules 2010

It's basically the interpretation of satellite images. We have to know stuff about the imaging satellites, like their sensors, collection methods, what parts of the electromagnetic spectrum they use, and stuff like that. We also have to know about forest biomes. Many of the images are of forest areas and we have to do things like find rates of deforestation. Look at the wiki page for more info.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

winneratlife
Member
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby winneratlife » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:44 pm

Celeste wrote:
smarticle13 wrote:I am not in division c, but what is remoting sensing? :)


"Participants will use remote sensing imagery, science and mathematical process skills to complete tasks related to an understanding of the causes and consequences of human interaction with forest biomes." - Remote Sensing rules 2010

It's basically the interpretation of satellite images. We have to know stuff about the imaging satellites, like their sensors, collection methods, what parts of the electromagnetic spectrum they use, and stuff like that. We also have to know about forest biomes. Many of the images are of forest areas and we have to do things like find rates of deforestation. Look at the wiki page for more info.


Yes...
Most definitely read the wiki...
Except that I put it together, so imo, it's not nearly as comprehensive as it needs to be...
Somebody with more knowledge (and wiki editing skills) wanna add to it?

greywolfst1
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:10 am
Division: Grad
State: NE
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby greywolfst1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:25 am

I used to coach Science Olympiad in Indiana. Currently I am working on my PhD in remote sensing at University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I saw several comments about recommended reading. I highly recommend both of John Jensen's books on remote sensing (Remote Sensing of the Environment and Advanced Digital Image Processing) though the first is probably the most useful.

I know this event can be difficult to study for since there are not very many practice tests out there. In my opinion you should know the different types of platforms (i.e. radar, lidar etc). I wrote one of the regional test for Nebraska and I posted it on my university's ftp server which can be reached at:

ftp://snrftp.unl.edu/Outgoing/Science%20Olympiad/

I do not make any promises on how long it will stay up. Good luck!

winneratlife
Member
Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby winneratlife » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:30 am

greywolfst1 wrote:I used to coach Science Olympiad in Indiana. Currently I am working on my PhD in remote sensing at University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I saw several comments about recommended reading. I highly recommend both of John Jensen's books on remote sensing (Remote Sensing of the Environment and Advanced Digital Image Processing) though the first is probably the most useful.

I know this event can be difficult to study for since there are not very many practice tests out there. In my opinion you should know the different types of platforms (i.e. radar, lidar etc). I wrote one of the regional test for Nebraska and I posted it on my university's ftp server which can be reached at:

ftp://snrftp.unl.edu/Outgoing/Science%20Olympiad/

I do not make any promises on how long it will stay up. Good luck!


Thanx...
A couple things?
Can we use it on our test exchange? (If not, at least add the link?)
Could you please repost it in Word 97-03 Compatibility Mode?


Return to “2010 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest