2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
GCXC
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C [NY Trial]

Post by GCXC »

does anyone have any idea how they choose the proteins each year or is it just random :?:
2012 State:
1st Robot Arm
2nd Protein Modeling
3rd Microbe Mission
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

GCXC wrote:does anyone have any idea how they choose the proteins each year or is it just random :?:
I assume, given the selection of influenza hemagglutinin and neuraminidase this year, that they choose the year's proteins to be vaguely relevant to current events (in this case, swine flu). If there's a major disease outbreak, or a new protein-related scientific development, or if Thread starts falling (sorry, outdated sci-fi reference, anyone? No?), the proteins involved might be a good guess for next year's event.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
GCXC wrote:does anyone have any idea how they choose the proteins each year or is it just random :?:
I assume, given the selection of influenza hemagglutinin and neuraminidase this year, that they choose the year's proteins to be vaguely relevant to current events (in this case, swine flu). If there's a major disease outbreak, or a new protein-related scientific development, or if Thread starts falling (sorry, outdated sci-fi reference, anyone? No?), the proteins involved might be a good guess for next year's event.
I think we can discount Thread. They have to write the rules this summer, and if there were any unusual Oort bodies close enough to perihelion to drop Thread by then, we'd already know about it.
Beta amyloid, perhaps?
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Flavorflav wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:
I think we can discount Thread. They have to write the rules this summer, and if there were any unusual Oort bodies close enough to perihelion to drop Thread by then, we'd already know about it.
Beta amyloid, perhaps?
Thank you, I was a little worried I might be the only Anne McCaffrey reader here :lol: .

That's not a bad guess (it's a protein that forms plaques in the brain implicated in Alzheimer's, to anyone who hasn't obsessively read Science News for the past several years). It's a fairly short chain, though- only around 40 residues, if my very quick cursory research is correct. That's probably on the small side for the pre-build model, and I can't think of any obvious corollary to be the on-site model (or the pre-build, were beta amyloid to be the on-site). It's certainly relevant to recent research, though.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

Return to “2010 Study Events”