Protein Modeling C [NY Trial]

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Protein Modeling C [NY Trial]

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Protein Modeling C, a trial event in New York.

Rules:
2010 Rules
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Re: Protein Modeling C [NY Trial]

Post by Flavorflav »

The rules linked to above are notthe correct rules for this event. Those are the draft rules from June. The final rules are here. The biggest difference are that the molecules have changed and only two students may compete.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Is this being run at any Regional competitions, or just at States? Because I'm pretty sure my region isn't running it- not really surprising, since it's pretty heavy on the setup.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Phenylethylamine wrote:Is this being run at any Regional competitions, or just at States? Because I'm pretty sure my region isn't running it- not really surprising, since it's pretty heavy on the setup.
All regions are supposed to run the trial events. If they don't, they get fewer medals from the State. I am quite sure that E.L.I. will run it.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Flavorflav wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:Is this being run at any Regional competitions, or just at States? Because I'm pretty sure my region isn't running it- not really surprising, since it's pretty heavy on the setup.
All regions are supposed to run the trial events. If they don't, they get fewer medals from the State. I am quite sure that E.L.I. will run it.
Yeah, I was told that the region always runs the trials, although nobody was sure why. That's good to know.
--
AlchemyRocks
Division: C

Post by AlchemyRocks »

I believe the rules for the New York Protein Modeling and Wisconsin Protein modeling are the same. Can someone confirm this for me?
Unfortunately, I am working from a school computer at the moment, and any time I click on a .pdf file, the browser quits out. No clue why this is...but I've come to except it with school computers.

If this is confirmed, I would like to know the way to obtain the Mini-Toobers materials for the building. Do we order them off the site?
Image Image Image
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

AlchemyRocks wrote:I believe the rules for the New York Protein Modeling and Wisconsin Protein modeling are the same. Can someone confirm this for me?
Unfortunately, I am working from a school computer at the moment, and any time I click on a .pdf file, the browser quits out. No clue why this is...but I've come to except it with school computers.

If this is confirmed, I would like to know the way to obtain the Mini-Toobers materials for the building. Do we order them off the site?
I would be very surprised if they were different, because I believe trial event rules are supposed to be the same throughout the country. Clarifications made at the State level would only apply to that State, though.

You can get miniToobers at the bottom of this page: http://www.3dmoleculardesigns.com/news2.php#betafolding
AlchemyRocks

Post by AlchemyRocks »

Thank you. : )
I got my MiniToober stuff sent to me.
Now...I'm trying to figure out how to use Jmol. : D
I love messing with new programs!
Image Image Image
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

AlchemyRocks wrote:Thank you. : )
I got my MiniToober stuff sent to me.
Now...I'm trying to figure out how to use Jmol. : D
I love messing with new programs!
If you're having any trouble with Jmol, there is a whole wiki on it (http://wiki.jmol.com). It's sometimes unclear, and not really designed for beginners, unfortunately, but there is a page of tutorials (http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php?title=Jmol_Tutorials) which may or may not be helpful.
I don't know if you're more comfortable with a command line setup or with using the menus, but personally I prefer the command line (although I believe full functionality is available without touching the command line). If you're looking for it, the command line can be accessed by going to File -> Output Console (it took me a while to figure out that 'Output Console' was the command line :? ). I don't know much about using the menus (because I almost never do- except to open files, since that doesn't seem to work very well in the command line for some reason), but I'm pretty familiar with the commands if you have any questions.
--
AlchemyRocks

Post by AlchemyRocks »

I'll see which works better for me. To be honest, I have nearly no background in command prompt or whatever it is.
But it can't hurt to learn new trick. Thanks for the site. I'll definately check it out!
Image Image Image

Return to “2010 Study Events”