Building materials, covering

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Building materials, covering

Post by jander14indoor »

Since we have a dedicated board for WS now, I thought it might help to organize by kicking off topics around the typical WS questions. Content of string to be driven by subject line (I hope).
danyalukin
Division: Grad
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building materials, covering

Post by danyalukin »

Is there a sufficient difference between 5 micron and .9 micron mylar?
Off to Orlando!
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Well, the 5 micron will be 5.5 times as heavy. Actually meant for outdoor covering, kind of overkill for SO for strength, but can probably be used if its what you have available. You just have to plan accordingly. You might check light tissue or very light shopping bags in your area for weight, might be lighter and plenty strong enough.

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

I've always (for all of one season anyway) used produce bags. They're lighter than shopping bags (I assume), and work great. All of my planes were around 6.5-6.8g before ballast. I really don't see how buying film covering could be much better than using the free produce bags. In an f1d you need to be as light as possible, but I found it very easy to make 7g planes without paying much attention to weight.
In full color since 2006
bob3443

Post by bob3443 »

blue cobra wrote:I've always (for all of one season anyway) used produce bags. They're lighter than shopping bags (I assume), and work great. All of my planes were around 6.5-6.8g before ballast. I really don't see how buying film covering could be much better than using the free produce bags. In an f1d you need to be as light as possible, but I found it very easy to make 7g planes without paying much attention to weight.
Actually last year i was thinking of which bag would be lighter, i also though produce bags, but then i cut a 6in square from a produce bag, a shop-rite bag, and a a.c.more bag. Turns out the a.c.more bag was lightest, then produce then shop-rite.
swimmerdude5
Division: B
State: TX

Post by swimmerdude5 »

HI, I've tried many times to put mylar wrap onto my balsa plane but it's always to static. i bought something that removes some of the static but it won't work. Can someone help me?
"To build is the noblest art of all the arts. Painting and sculpture are but images, are merely shadows cast by outward things on stone or canvas, having in themselves no separate existence."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

Try rubbing it on your hair :)

I really don't know, but I do that sometimes when tape is too static, and it seems to work. It can't really hurt.
In full color since 2006
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

swimmerdude5 wrote:HI, I've tried many times to put mylar wrap onto my balsa plane but it's always to static. i bought something that removes some of the static but it won't work. Can someone help me?
do u crumple your mylar into a ball before you put it on?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
swimmerdude5
Division: B
State: TX

Post by swimmerdude5 »

No I do not, if you are then how do you get it out a ball when it's all stuck together?
"To build is the noblest art of all the arts. Painting and sculpture are but images, are merely shadows cast by outward things on stone or canvas, having in themselves no separate existence."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
bob3443

Post by bob3443 »

swimmerdude5 wrote:No I do not, if you are then how do you get it out a ball when it's all stuck together?
I'm not sure but are you suppose to iron it or something?

Return to “Wright Stuff B”