Building materials, covering

Greg Doe
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building materials, covering

Post by Greg Doe »

Planemaker
The mylar in your kit is good stuff. It is difficult to handle, and it tears very easily. Follow the
instructions in the kit, and take your time. If you have a lot of trouble, consider covering your
first airplane with tissue (preferably Japanese tissue). Good model airplane tissue can be
bought mail order, or occassionally at some well stocked hobby shops.
I usually have my students cover their first airplane with tissue because it's a little easier to
work with.
Greg Doe
Smyrna, TN
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Mylar is good (very light, a little hard to use) for SO.

Tissue works, but is on the heavy side, though it is possible to build 7.0 gm planes with light tissue (which can be hard to find). It also tends to shrink and expand with changes in humidity, which can cause warping problems at unexpected times.

A good alternative between Mylar and tissue is grocery shopping bags, believe it or not. You do have to look for the lightest, flimsiest ones you can find (ask the shopper of the family who's bags tear the easiest) to save weight, but you can come in about half the weight of light tissue, and their available everywhere for free, just takes time to find the lightest. I've had fairly consistent success with bags from Home Depot and one of the pet stores (Petsmart?). In covers like mylar but is easier to handle, and doesn't shrink like tissue. A good compromise.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
14mjensen3
Division: B
State: UT

Post by 14mjensen3 »

Though a paper covering can be light, i found that a plastic covering* can be just as useful and light. Plus it makes the wing struckture more study during flight and building.

*a plastic covering can be procured at most hobby stores. This plastic is the same as they use for model planes. It is a little more expencive than paper but it can be applied more sturdely.
planemaker
Division: B
State: CA

Post by planemaker »

jander14indoor:

I had heard that home depot bags work well so i brought a few home thx
2010 events- Wright Stuff;Rad Scholar; and Bio Process

NORCAL 4 TW
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

14mjensen3 wrote:Though a paper covering can be light, i found that a plastic covering* can be just as useful and light. Plus it makes the wing struckture more study during flight and building.

*a plastic covering can be procured at most hobby stores. This plastic is the same as they use for model planes. It is a little more expencive than paper but it can be applied more sturdely.
Careful, there are plastic coverings, and plastic coverings. The commonly available plastic coverings in most hobby stores for RC planes is WAY heavier than tissue, and WAY, WAY heavier than the indoor mylar. Even the lighter RC coverings (Coverlite or Microlite) for the newer indoor RC planes is heavier than good tissue.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

Is Tru-Lite Poly Micro film:

https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/ProductDet ... uctID=1548

the same thing as mylar? It's 0.9 microns thick.
In full color since 2006
eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

Yes, and no. Mylar is a brand name used to describe a type of poly films. That isn't called mylar for that reason. However, is is made from the same stuff.
#ACESWILD
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

So Mylar is like Kleenex and Tru-Lite Poly Micro film is like other brands of tissue; the same thing by a different name? If I'm understanding you, thanks.
In full color since 2006
eta150

Post by eta150 »

That's my understanding, yes.
#ACESWILD
eta150

Post by eta150 »

Alright, serious problem. I am flying the leading edge kit, and my wing is WAY too close to 40cm for comfort. The good people at Solon allowed me to fly, because after manual measurement, they saw it sitting right at the 40cm mark. However, I do not see the people at regionals being so kind. I have till next monday, and their are several reasons why I do not want to rebuilt my wing, like time constraints and the fact that my current plane is pushing 3 mins. and won Solon. Is there any way to reduce the wingspan by about a millimeter? Also, these measurement are including the tip plates, which rest on the sides of the wing.
#ACESWILD

Return to “Wright Stuff B”