Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs

Post by blue cobra »

If you offset the wing to the right (looking from the front) that will give it a right turn, correct? But the planes will naturally want to turn left, so is this offset just to combat torque? Also, on the LE design, both the wing and tail are angled or offset for right turn, and only 2 degrees of left thrust to get the turn, so how does that kit turn?
In full color since 2006
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

No, longer left wing (right when looking from front) gives left turn (more drag on the left side). It is one of many controls to manage a consistent left turn. But the real reason for longer left wing, and washin on left wing is to make the plane fly closer to level offsetting propellor torque which tends to roll the plane strongly to the left if no other actions taken.
As for the rest of the LE design I think you are interpreting the drawing wrong. Prop is offset to give left turn (view is from bottom). Stab is angled to push it out to the right, giving a left turn. Wing is offset to left with left washin. This tends to keep the left wing up offsetting prop torque, while the higher drag on the left pulls the nose around to the left in a turn.
The only thing I don't see that's 'normal' on an SO plane is offsetting the stab so the stab boom angles to the left at the rear from the straight line of the motor stick.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

Oh, thanks. I was thinking more wing on the left would mean more lift, creating a right turn, but I see how it would create left turn.
In full color since 2006
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

I thought to post the kits available for WS as many people like to start off with them.

The Zeigler Fun Science 2010 kit http://www.freedomflightmodels.com/index.html
Cesar Bansk- Peck Polymers- Leading Edge 2010 kit https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/
Shrike AF-31 and Falcon AF-16 from Aeroracers http://www.aeroracers.com/bdivision.html

harlan no longer makes kits.

There are also free plans:
Chuch Markos 2009 http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... ans2.0.pdf
Leading edge 2010 Plan only http://www.a2zcorp.us/freedownload/Lead ... nePlan.pdf

did i miss anything? hope this helps
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
leetx
State: CA

Post by leetx »

A quick question for those who are familiar with the Leading Edge kit.

I was looking at the kit plans online and saw the instructions for shaping the "broad" ikara prop blades and to set the pitch to 45 deg. My questions are:

- Does the "broad" ikara prop come stock with pitch greater or less than 45 deg?
- for the Leading Edge kit, what is(are) the recommended rubber size(s) for this prop/plane combination?

This is my first time posting. I recently saw this discussion forum, and I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge.
clinto

Post by clinto »

Does increasing the vertical distance drastically from wing to stab have any significantly positive affects? As in, if your looking at the plane from the front would look something like this and increasing this distance between:

Post by carneyf1d »

if you're talking about a droop boom?
It increases the lift of the stabilizer by the ground effect near the beginning and end of flights. It also decreases the moment arm, and decreases the pitching moment caused by the stabilizer.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

leetx wrote:<SNIP>
- Does the "broad" ikara prop come stock with pitch greater or less than 45 deg?
- for the Leading Edge kit, what is(are) the recommended rubber size(s) for this prop/plane combination?
<SNIP>
Most props have a varying angle from very steep at the pitch to almost flat at the tips, this is called a helical blade. So they will have a 45 degree angle (not pitch) somewhere along the radius. Key is what radius the 45 degree angle is as this helps define the pitch. (Pitch is the theoretically ideal distance the prop will move forward during one turn, not an angle of the blade).

The plan is recommending the 45 degree angle be at a particular radius to give a particular pitch.

Never flown this plane, but from experience, it should be in range of .070 to .096 width. That's a very wide range I know, but it should be in there somewhere.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

Carbon fiber does mean carbon reinforced polymers, like this, right?

https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/Category.a ... Pultrusion
In full color since 2006
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

blue cobra wrote:Carbon fiber does mean carbon reinforced polymers, like this, right?<SNIP>

Wwweeeeellllllllllll, you knoooow, when the rules writers added that, I'm confident that's what they meant. But I can also see some less knowledgable (but well meaning) event supervisor saying otherwise. "It only says carbon fiber in the rules, not plastic, second tier."

Heck, last year one supervisor disallowed tape, which is only a combination of plastic film or paper and glue.... Required a clarification to straighten that out.

So, I'm NOT going to give you a definitive answer, but instead STRONGLY recommend you submit a rule clarification on the national site.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “Wright Stuff B”