Flight Trimming

YadoMestor
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flight Trimming

Post by YadoMestor »

If you're looking for a slower ascent without backing off winds and losing flight time, you can try using a "flared" broad style Ikara. The broad blades are soft and will bend or flex back to a higher pitch during the beginning of the flight when the torque is extremely high. The higher pitch will cause a slower ascent and use up winds much slower. Later in the flight, the blades will flex back to the original lower pitch.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Another thing to try is thinner rubber. Modify pitch, probably higher. The other suggestions are good too.

PS, this all assumes you have your plane at ideal trim. If not, you can play with that a little to get it right first then the other suggestions.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Amatuer
State: SD

Post by Amatuer »

I have a question on my plane. We are flying relatively well, but it seems to be turning in quite a tight circle (about 10 foot diameter). This has been causing quite a bit of problems for us. We are using Ziegler's plane design, thus the tailboom is in a fixed position, making this quite difficult to fix. Do you guys happen to have a solution without adding too much weight?
Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

I would crack the tailboom and bend it out a little and reglue it.
jcollier
State: PA

Post by jcollier »

Amatuer wrote:I have a question on my plane. We are flying relatively well, but it seems to be turning in quite a tight circle (about 10 foot diameter). This has been causing quite a bit of problems for us. We are using Ziegler's plane design, thus the tailboom is in a fixed position, making this quite difficult to fix. Do you guys happen to have a solution without adding too much weight?
You should not need to add weight for that problem. You could carefully twist the tail boom to reduce the stabilizer's lean to the right (from the back of the plane) to see if this helps. If it does, moistening the tail boom piece near the motor stick, adding some twist, and pinning it to let it dry that way could help open the circle. BUT, don't try to make too much of a change until you see the results. Otherwise, I'd suggest carefully cutting off the stab and reglue at a lesser angle. The stab, being so far from the cg, has a big influence on how your plane flies. One reason we like to put both stabs and wings on with posts/paper rolls for adjustment.
Amatuer

Post by Amatuer »

Alright, thanks guys. It's sitting in a jig right now bending into a new position. I don't know if this would change anything or if you have anything else to say about this, but it seems that at the begining of the flight when it has the most torque it flies in a bigger circle (approx 15-20 ft) and as it looses torque the circles start to become smaller, making the flight pattern sort of like a cone if you were able to follow it. Any observations?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Sounds like your prop is pointing straight or slightly right. Change the hanger so the prop points about 1-2 degrees left of where it is now.

General hint, early in flight, things are controlled by torque, bending, prop direction, etc. Later in flight, things are more controlled by surfaces, tail tilt, washin, etc.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Amatuer

Post by Amatuer »

Alright thanks for the advice. When you say left, do you mean as the plane faces you (propeller towards you) or as the horozontal stab. is facing you?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Conventional references to left or right in planes are from the rear, or as if you are a pilot sitting in the plane facing forward. So, from the tail in your question. Note, my answer on prop change assumed your plane circles left.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Amatuer

Post by Amatuer »

alright, my plane does circle left. thank you :) I will fly it tonight and see how things go.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”