Propellers

calgoddard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Propellers

Post by calgoddard »

I will try to post an image of the Geauga prop hanger again in this thread. If you can't see it go to the Image Gallery.

1985|9/August_20_2006_006_edited.jpg
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

calgoddard wrote:I will try to post an image of the Geauga prop hanger again in this thread. If you can't see it go to the Image Gallery.

1985|9/August_20_2006_006_edited.jpg
oh yeah. i've seen those before. the person who was showing it to me said it was some good stuff. never tired it personaly though. too bad they dont make them anymore.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
nemmissis
Division: B
State: WA

Post by nemmissis »

Does anybody know how to make my plane better? It is a R.O.G shoebox model i need help with modfing it to work good any ideas??????? :mrgreen:
:geek:
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by andrewwski »

Not without a lot more information. To start, what's not working? How is your plane built/trimmed?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

The ROG Shoebox model is a fine plane, but marginal to the WS rules, too small.

That said, put it on a diet. Use smaller wood cross sections and lighter wood than comes in the kit. Delete the landing gear. Lighten the prop. Select a lighter wing covering. WHATEVER it takes to get down to the rule minimum of 7.0 gms without rubber.

Use the maximum 1.5 gm of rubber, measure it yourself, what's in the kit isn't likely to be that amount. You'll probably need a larger cross-section than recommended in other places on this forum because of the small wing, but smaller than I remember being in the kit. It will fly nicely if you get it right, say 30 to 45 seconds, maybe a minute. Not much more than that.

Build and trim carefully per instructions in kit of course.

If you want something beyond what that model is capable of, start by reviewing the many messages already in this subsection of the board. Lots of hints and tips on better designs and longer flight times.

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
StampingKid
Division: B

diameter of prop

Post by StampingKid »

How is the diameter of the propeller measured? Straight across the axis along the spar or from far tip to far tip?
I WILL RETURN TO PHILMONT IN JULY!
07 Reg 1st BLG, 3rd WV.
08 Reg 1st Twr, 2nd BLG
State 1st Twr
09 Reg 1st WS, PSL and Crave the Wave, 2nd Robo-X, EB
State 1st EB, 3rd WS
10 Reg 1st EB, PSL, 2nd WS, Disease Det., 3rd Traj.
State 1st EB, PSL, 2nd WS, 3rd Disease Det.
WrightStuffMonster
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AK

Re: diameter of prop

Post by WrightStuffMonster »

StampingKid wrote:How is the diameter of the propeller measured? Straight across the axis along the spar or from far tip to far tip?
The diameter is measured straight across the axis. At nationals they have a slot that is 20cm wide that you have to fit your prop through.
Image-Alaska
Eagle River High School Class 09
Nationals:
1st Wright Stuff Kansas 07
1st Robot Ramble Washington D.C. 08
Stanford University Class 2013
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

I'm not understanding how you can remove your propeller from the pigtail prop hanger. If anyone has it, could they post a picture?
In full color since 2006
WrightStuffMonster
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AK

Post by WrightStuffMonster »

blue cobra wrote:I'm not understanding how you can remove your propeller from the pigtail prop hanger. If anyone has it, could they post a picture?
I depends on how you bent your prop wire. The easiest way to figure out how to remove a prop from a pigtail bearing is to put the prop so that the rounded section where the oring goes is right against the pigtail and then rotate the wire while pulling lightly on the prop. If the wire is bent right it should come right out. Could you post a picture of your current set up? Sometimes it can be pretty tricky to get out if you are using larger diameter wire.
Image-Alaska
Eagle River High School Class 09
Nationals:
1st Wright Stuff Kansas 07
1st Robot Ramble Washington D.C. 08
Stanford University Class 2013
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

I'm using the Ikara set-up. I don't have a pigtail bearing, but as I understand there is a .018" hole in the front (on the Penny Plane bearing) that you stick your prop shaft through and form your hook. But once you have your hook, you won't be able to get your prop shaft back out of that hole. Thus my confusion.
In full color since 2006

Return to “Wright Stuff B”