Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Propellers

Post by smartkid222 »

on the PP Harlan bearing there is a hole there is an .018" hole in the front. Thats it in the front. In the back however the setup is more complicated to describe, but it's not just a hole in one piece of metal. It's really two pieces of metal that the shaft goes through. You can can pop the shaft out of the back and then take it out of the front hole.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by blue cobra »

But wouldn't the hook in the shaft block it's way out the hole? Maybe I just have to see it.
In full color since 2006
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

no the shaft is able to go through the hole.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Careful here. If I read this string correctly, bluecobra is talking about a Ikara prop hanger, not a pigtail hanger. You can't remove the prop from the Ikara bearing. The bearing and prop slip out of the hanger, and you have to have extra bearings to allow easy prop changes.

On a pigtail hanger there are two rear ends, the fronts are the same.
- one rear the rear is a twist like a wire cork screw, the rear hook literally screws out of this style hanger. Then you wiggle the wire out of the front hole. It doesn't come out straight, you have to turn to follow the wire hook.
- The other rear is a flat piece with a split down its length through the shaft hole. The two legs are split, one forward, one aft. To remove, you pull the shaft forward till the beginning of the hook hits the split. Now, look down on that split, turn the shaft till that bend suddenly lies in that split, it just slides up and out now. You then proceed like the other, wiggling the shaft out the front, turning to follow the bends.

Hope that helps a little.

If not, I'll try to take some pictures if I can find a suitable camera, unless one of you bright young ones beats me to it.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
DallasM
Division: B
State: MS

Post by DallasM »

Can anyone help with pitch? I don't know how what to change it to in relation to the number of turns and the rubber band size. Is it a big factor on how the plane flies?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

The most competitive flyers seem to like a higher pitch, but it is tricky to get work right. I use lower pitch props and get times in the same range as the best SO flyers. As an adult I don't actually compete with them so don't ultimately know if its as good.

MORE important in my mind is getting the proper MATCH between prop and rubber. Thats how I get my lower pitch prop to at least compare in performance with the guys using high pitch.

As to how to change pitch, you propably need to understand helical pitch first (see http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/flight63.htm or http://www.propellersexplained.com/. Then you need a pitch gauge, couldn't find one, but there are some designs out there somewhere. Finally, you have to twist the prop spar to the new pitch. Three ways I've heard of. Twist by hand till youv'e bent it permanently, takes more talent than I have. Cut and reglue, some do this successfully, I find it tricky. Apply heat to soften the shaft, twist to new position, let cool and be done. I've had most success with this.

Oh, and you can select different pitches. The different size and type of Ikara props have different pitches. I use the narrow blade prop that has a lower pitch and cut to diameter, as opposed to the wide blade prop which has a higher pitch.

You can also trim the leading or trailing edge to change pitch.

Hope that's clear

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
duckiegirl2
State: TX

Post by duckiegirl2 »

Is there a certain material that is lighter to use for the propellers? Is it important to get that wait down so it doesn't nose dive? Our plane has been very inconsistent, it has nose dived then the next flight got stuck it the rafters. The only thing different was the number of turns on the rubber band.
THIS IS BARTA!!!
( '< ')
( v v )
Image Image <(^_~)>
zyzzyva98 wrote:Is in the city/state/county/country/planet/township/home/galaxy/etc. of taking a nap
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

Ikara props are pretty light and probably the best for Wright Stuff.

A nose dive is probably caused by the CG being too far in front of your wing, but could be something else.

Something must have changed to get dramatically different flights. Something might have been bumped during the nose dive. Once you get it trimmed mark every position to use as a baseline.
In full color since 2006
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Can't really select the material for the props. Rules require a commercially available plastic prop. Only thing you can do is modify it.

What kind of prop are you using? The Ikara ones probably need the least modification to be good, already pretty light weight. Other props may need signficant modification to loose weight before being suitable for WS.

As to the variation in performance, difference enough will cause very large difference in results. But if not very different, I have to second blue cobra, something changed. Look for it.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

DallasM wrote:Can anyone help with pitch? I don't know how what to change it to in relation to the number of turns and the rubber band size. Is it a big factor on how the plane flies?
jander14indoor wrote:<SNIP>Then you need a pitch gauge, couldn't find one, but there are some designs out there somewhere.<SNIP>
Such as this one.
In full color since 2006

Return to “Wright Stuff B”