Flight Times

jcollier
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flight Times

Post by jcollier »

eta150 wrote:Actually, it was 2:46 (my plane). I agree that it will be way higher at nats, because, having approached 3 minutes in a ~20 foot gym, a 98 foot field house should give a significant increase.
P.S. It's Bala Cynwyd
Good time! I agree that a 98' field house should allow some incredible times. I am guessing it will take over 3 min. to win states this year, with several teams being much closer in time than last year. With the changes in our team this year, I doubt that I will be able to assist John as I have for the past 2 years. It was fun, and the stale, humid air didn't bother me a bit compared to seeing all the planes and gliders fly. :D
Greg Doe

Post by Greg Doe »

Weekend report Feb. 27, 2010;
2:05 and 1:39 took first and second at one regionals; there was some ventilation turbulence.
1:55 took first at the other regionals. This is the one I didn't get to go to, but understand
there was bad ventilation turbulence. They didn't shut the heat and air blowers off!
There really wasn't much competition at either regionals, but my students were thrilled with
winning. States will be much tougher.
Greg Doe
Smyrna, TN
3slh9
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: KS

Post by 3slh9 »

Winning time at the NE Kansas Regionals was 2 minutes 41 seconds. That was with blowers on. We took 5th with 1 minute 52 seconds.
eta150
Division: Grad

Post by eta150 »

Winning time at PA SE regionals was 2:48 (Bala Cynwyd), followed by 1:37, 1:28, and somewhere between 1:25 and 1:10.
#ACESWILD
jcollier

Post by jcollier »

Nice time. Looks like you are pretty consistent with it. Doesn't sound like it was too nerve wracking for you with that margin of victory. Good luck at States!
eta150

Post by eta150 »

It was pretty scary actually. Before my first flight, I broke the first motor. Then, I'm not sure how, but the horizontal stab practically broke in half, so I glued a small strip of balsa over the top of the leading edge. The venue was a deathtrap too for various reasons, like the limited space, basketball nets, elevated walkway ringing it, and netted curtain that allows a draft through. My first flight crashed into the netting, and my second one nearly did too, but one small bump on the ceiling corrected the flight path. All's well that ends well though.
#ACESWILD
jcollier

Post by jcollier »

Sounds like my son's adventure at States last year. No guts, no glory. Looking forward to seeing your plane on 4/30. :)
talicoa
State: IL

Post by talicoa »

Our team flew 2:39 for both flights last weekend at the New Trier regional in North Eastern Illinois. It was good enough for third place. The winning time was around 2:52. The Gym was very narrow, and a lot of people made contact with the walls, and backboards.
eta150

Post by eta150 »

How tall was the gym?
#ACESWILD
Hamtown009
State: MI

Post by Hamtown009 »

yes goblue007 is my partner for wirght stuff. We took 3rd with a 1:58 at an invitational. I think that the winning time was around 2:45 or so. The plane tends to climb nicely, turning in a normal fashion, although when the plane is coming down, it does so very quickly. My coach thought that we should use a smaller diameter rubber band and wind it more. (ex. instead of 80 winds with a diameter of .095 on a 1:16 winder, have 90 or more winds on a rubber band with a diameter of .083 on a 1:16 winder) Do you think that this would help with increasing our total time by helping it decrease in elevation slower???
2010 Events-
Wright Stuff
Bio-Process Lab
Shock Value
Pentathalon
Write it Do it
Elevated Bridge

Return to “Wright Stuff B”