jcollier
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flight Times

Post by jcollier »

To Danielle:

Centraleastern Regional was won with a time of 2:06 by Nazareth. They are not going to States. At least 3 of the teams that are going had practice flights that indicated they could do better than 2 min. It was just one of those days. :?
YadoMestor

Post by YadoMestor »

What would be considered a relatively competitive time (placing in top 6) in a 43' ceiling under this year's rules?
Greg Doe

Post by Greg Doe »

The Tennessee State competition was Sat. Mar. 27 at UT in Knoxville. There were 18 teams.
Bearden Middle School finished 1st with times of 2:33 and 2:41.85. Second was St. Rose Of Lima
Catholic School with times of 2:02 and 2:20.81. Harpeth Hall Middle School finished 3rd. with
a 2:05.7.
Bearden is a consistant winner in airplane events. They have a nationally known indoor flyer for
their coach, and usually place at the nationals. The flying site was a nice gym with a 30' to 35'
foot ceiling heigth. There was some drift which affected a couple of teams. There were two flying
sessions, one in the late morning, and one in the mid afternoon. I had teams flying in both periods,
and I think conditions were a little better in the afternoon, although the first and second place
times were recorded in the morning session. Only two teams used torque meters, Bearden and
Ross Robinson (I think).
Considering the site, the times were not what might be expected. I think teams flew conservatively.
I believe we could have squeezed another twenty seconds out of our airplanes, but equally Bearden
probably would have had more if it had been needed!
This was only my second year coaching indoor rubber, which I've never flown before, so I was
pleased to be able lead my students to a 2nd and 3rd place finishes.
Jeff, If I coach next year we will learn torque meters! Good luck to all teams still competing.
Greg Doe
Smyrna, TN
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

YadoMestor wrote:What would be considered a relatively competitive time (placing in top 6) in a 43' ceiling under this year's rules?
It sounds (based on the 43' ceiling) that you are in Ohio. This was really competitive last year with several teams between 2:45 and 3 minutes.
If you can hit that, you should be in the top 6.
lunxiong
State: IL

Post by lunxiong »

I think the national competition winning flight time will be around 6 minutes this year.
Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

What would be good for the state competition in MI this year
lunxiong

Post by lunxiong »

Littleboy,

Do you know how high is the Gym for MI state competition?
Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

I think it's about 25 feet
jcollier
State: PA

Post by jcollier »

lunxiong wrote:I think the national competition winning flight time will be around 6 minutes this year.
Shortened your earlier post by quite a bit. ;) 98 ft. should be fun, if you can get the plane to climb well without power stalling.
lunxiong

Post by lunxiong »

What happened to my daughter's airplane in the Illinois State Science Olympiad Competition was very peculiar. My daughter's plane was definitely the best in the practice round. We went to UIUC (the same location as National) on April 9 and got there at around 7:00PM. They had three wings made, two of them are 6.9cm cord, and another one is the Dave Zeigler 15 CM cord wing. They did not fly the 15cm wing in UIUC, but the 15 CM cord wing flew 3 mins 37 sec in a 50 ft gym, so I am sure it can reach around 4 min 30 sec in UIUC.

In the practice round at UIUC on 4/9, my daughter flew one of the 6.9cm wing, consistantly getting flight time between 3 mins 52 sec and 4 mins 13 sec. This does not include bonus. With 30% bonus, it converts to between 5 mins 1.6 sec and 5 mins 28.9 sec. The plane climbed all the way to 70 ~ 80 ft, but never touched the ceiling.

On competition day (4/10), in the free flight time between 7:00-8:00PM, my daughter flew the plane twice with first wind RB, it reaches 3 mins 44 sec. Usually the second wind and third wind RB can bring the plane to get 4 mins +. We thought everything were set for the competition.

The kids went to other events with plane boxes left in the gym. One parent was supposed to guard the box all the time, but she left the box unattended for a few minutes to go to bathroom.

Kids came back for the wright stuff competition, thinking the plane was still in good condition. They checked in, and started to fly with the bonus wing. The plane did not lift as it usually do, wing started to wobble. It did not last long in air. The kids now found the leading edge wood was broken into two pieces in the middle. The kids ran for the second bonus wing, and then found the second bonus wing was broken as well, three pieces of balsa broken with the mylar torn. The kids got so nervous and never thought of placing the 15 cm wing for the flight, so they tried the second broken wing anyway, it did not last long in air. The kids were so disappointed and bothered.

For national competition, if you can fly 4 mins 17 sec with bonus wing, the total flight time with 40% bonus will be 6 mins. I suspect the winning flight time will be a little bit less than 6 mins but close.

Lun
Lisle, IL
Last edited by lunxiong on April 18th, 2010, 9:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”