How to trim length from prop?

Lowell
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to trim length from prop?

Post by Lowell »

I have an Ikara prop I need to take about 3/4" or so off of to make it legal. I don't have any specialized equipment to do this so I am asking for ideas. Any suggestions please?
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: How to trim length from prop?

Post by blue cobra »

This really belongs in the Propellers thread.

But anyway just use a ruler to find where to cut and you can use regular scissors, or a razor if you are so inclined, to make the cut.
In full color since 2006
Greg Doe

Post by Greg Doe »

Lowell,
First make a pattern of one blade on a piece of poster board, or any similar material. Measure
in 3/8" (1/2 the of the 3/4" you need to remove) from the tip, and cut that amount off of your
pattern. Slightely radius the corners of the pattern. Now use your pattern template to draw a "trim" line on your prop. Before cutting the prop to length, measure the distance between the cut lines.
If everything checks out ok, cut the prop. Hope this is clear. Good luck.
Greg Doe
Smyrna,TN
jcollier
Division: B
State: PA

Post by jcollier »

You can make a pattern, or measure from the prop axle 10 cm on each blade, but be sure you measure the entire assembly to be sure it is under 20 cm. My son shortened the prop that came with the Leading Edge kit, and when I measured it for him, it was too close (right at exactly 20), so depending on the event supervisor, it could possibly been DQ'd. Also, if you want it to spin smoothly without wobble, make sure it is balanced and does not have a blade that is heavy and one that is light.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”