Repairs

eta150
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Repairs

Post by eta150 »

This was suggested, and it seems like a great idea. All posts involving repairs and fixes should be posted here.
#ACESWILD
StampingKid
Division: B

Re: Repairs

Post by StampingKid »

Thanks Eta for the thread. And I'll repost my repair from the coverings thread.
we got a tear in our covering when trimming off the excess and in preparing a patch noticed that the mylar was almost as hard as tape in sticking to itself. So we wetted the repair spot and gently rolled the wing over the laid out patch. Had a snow day yesterday so got some gym time and It has held amazingly well over 10 flights
I WILL RETURN TO PHILMONT IN JULY!
07 Reg 1st BLG, 3rd WV.
08 Reg 1st Twr, 2nd BLG
State 1st Twr
09 Reg 1st WS, PSL and Crave the Wave, 2nd Robo-X, EB
State 1st EB, 3rd WS
10 Reg 1st EB, PSL, 2nd WS, Disease Det., 3rd Traj.
State 1st EB, PSL, 2nd WS, 3rd Disease Det.
eta150

Post by eta150 »

Yeah, many liquids work well for that. In a pinch, you should always bring spare patches with you, and you can even use saliva if necessary.
#ACESWILD
jcollier

Post by jcollier »

Water and saliva do OK in a pinch. We usually use a little diluted glue stick and "paint" the area that needs repair. The rolling over technique is a good one for sure. I don't think any of our planes is without some kind of repair. ;)

For balsa breaks, a small piece of 1/32" balsa for a patch makes for a stronger repair with very little added weight.

My son has needed to make repairs often at or right before States. In 6th grade, he had his BLG stepped on, and was able to pull out a 5th.

Last year, his backup plane had an accident with serious wing damage two days before States. When we got there, the primary plane was not flying right due to a bent prop shaft, so he had to fly the backup.

Gotta always have the superglue handy! :lol:
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

I like this thread! To be truly successful at WS you have to be comfortable fixing your plane under any and ALL circumstances.

This comes from experience and practice. Build lots of planes, fly lots.

While a well built plane is pretty robust to flight damage, they are VERY fragile to handling. Your planes will be broken a lot, get over it.

Get comfortable with field repairs, they are necessary. Learn how to make quick, accurate and light repairs.

Heck, sometimes you have to break your plane on purpose (to adjust it) you need to be comfortable with this!

Try to avoid a "BEST" plane. Learn what makes a plane work and make sure ALL your planes are "BEST" planes. If your backup is not 'fixable' so that its as good as your main plane, make another backup!

Patching, with the very light mylars, saliva or pop (with real sugar) are the standard among the experts. Use a small paint brush to apply. Behind these is very thinned contact cement (10 to one solvent to glue kind of thin). Or glue stick disollved into water or alcohol. Wet the brush liberally, brush on the glue stick and apply to covering.

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

At States last year, in the very humid gym my wing posts weakened and broke when I tried to attach it to my plane. I don't entirely remember it, but I believe my CA wouldn't cure, and, flying on broken posts, I got I believe a 76 second flight out of a 120 second plane. Considering first place was 130 seconds, this was a huge disappointment. Does anyone know what could have helped?
In full color since 2006
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Some CA accelerator would have probably cured the CA.
jcollier

Post by jcollier »

This was something I mentioned last year, but at PA States, a parent who brought a plane in for a competitor somehow fell on a styrofoam box and crushed one of the better planes that was at the competition. The team did a heroic job of gluing it back together and they got a flight of 80 sec. or so. So...in addition to being able to repair your plane, be sure you have something as safe and secure as possible to protect it.

Also, I don't know how many teams can really have a backup plane that is just as good as their primary plane, but it sure helps to get one as close as possible. I know my son was not pleased with me when I insisted he fly his backup to try to get it as good as possible, but it turned out he needed it, and it did well enough.
gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Post by gh »

With respect to repairs, don't mix and match CA and pretty much any other glue. I find that CA will not "stick" or cure properly on a joint that has been glued with Duco, at all, which is extremely frustrating when repairing your plane with CA. Also, for fast repairs use thinner CA because it sets much faster and usually alleviates the need for accelerator, which is nasty stuff.
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.
Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

This year at regionals my tail broke off and I glued it back on wrong so it flew strait into the wall. I got 40 seconds out of a 2:30 plane. I still got 4th. :lol:

Return to “Wright Stuff B”