Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wright stuff vs. Towline Glider

Post by kjhsscioly »

Our state tournament is in just a few days, and our team still has no one to do towline glider trial. I turned out to be the only one with an existing wright stuff plane, and we won at regionals with a retrimmed plane, but our time was about 7 seconds, and we were one of two teams who brought one.
Does any one have tips on how to turn a Wright stuff plane into a glider, seeing as I have no time to build another one? I know it is just a trial, so I don't want to put much effort in a new plane.
I also cannot figure out how to use a towline, because my line keeps coming out to early or too late, and besides it doesn't go up with the towline. :evil:
jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wright stuff vs. Towline Glider

Post by jander14indoor »

Hadn't seen those rules, interesting.

Anyway, since you are using and existing WS plane, minimal changes, I assume you aren't going to take advantage of the larger wing span, or changing the chord as long as you meet the rules.

First, last, and always, weight. The min weight is much lighter than WS, and weight is even more important than a powered plane, so you desperately need to lose weight. Either trash your current motor stick, or cut it down as small as you dare, thickness wise. Keep the nose long for balance. Obviously throw away the prop, prop hanger, and tail hook. You can probably sand down other wood sizes too. Stresses on gliders are much lower than WS planes.

Next, rebalance to best glide cg (should be close to your WS cg, maybe a little aft). You want to do this by moving your wing unless you are under the min weight, then add ballast. DON'T add weight if above minimum already unless you have NO choice.

You'll still need to keep your plane trimmed for a circle, which way is less important with no prop, but unless you want to hit walls you'll need to circle.

Now, trick is where to locate and how to design the hook. I don't have much experience here, but there is a community that does. Get on the internet and look up F1A gliders. These are outdoor competition free flight, but I strongly suspect they locate their hooks with respect to the aircraft's cg for a GOOD reason. They also have lots of experience on hook design and tow techniques. Look up something called circle tow.

Hope that helps,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “Wright Stuff B”