FLIGHT TIMES, DYING TO KNOW WHERE WE STAND

calgoddard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: FLIGHT TIMES, DYING TO KNOW WHERE WE STAND

Post by calgoddard »

To get up 98 feet, you will need a large helium filled balloon, not just some small party balloon, to carry the weight of the string.

Try to use a thin, very light fishing line to reduce weight. Also, be careful about helium sold in small tanks that you take home from the store. It is half air to reduce cost, and therefore, does not produce max buoyancy.

Try to get a balloon filled at a party supply store with a full - size heluium gas cylinder.

Also, Wright Stuff rules do not permit steering of the plane with a balloon during an official flight. Its ok during practice and during retrieval of a stuck plane.

A winning time at Nationals at the Armory should be near five minutes.

At Tustin, CA, in a blimp hanger, a flyer did 5:11 last month with a Wright Stuff plane that met the 2010 rules.
eta150
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

My best time in a similar gym, 20 ft., was 2:58, but with no touches. My gym is just WAY to dangerous to try the continuous bounce thing...
Also, my time at states was no touch, going about 35 feet high, without a torque meter because we "lost" ours, and couldn't attempt a torque back off without way to much risk. Still, I think it's all going to come down to proper preparation at nationals.
#ACESWILD
jcollier
Division: B
State: PA

Post by jcollier »

eta150 wrote:My best time in a similar gym, 20 ft., was 2:58, but with no touches. My gym is just WAY to dangerous to try the continuous bounce thing...
Also, my time at states was no touch, going about 35 feet high, without a torque meter because we "lost" ours, and couldn't attempt a torque back off without way to much risk. Still, I think it's all going to come down to proper preparation at nationals.
So, is that why you looked nervous at States? The flights you had without a torque meter, were even more impressive. We hope you are very happy with your Nationals results. :D

Return to “Wright Stuff B”