Nationals results

MMP
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nationals results

Post by MMP »

eta150 wrote:MMP's was a freedom flight model. F.F. designed it after JC Booth's national winning plane from last year.
Does our plane look that much like a freedom flight one? I believe our JV team built their planes with freedom flight kit (very good kit by the way), but varsity team did not use kit at all.
eta150
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

sorry :oops:
but yeah, it looks really similar to one. After a second look though, I can definitely see the difference.
Last edited by eta150 on June 1st, 2010, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ACESWILD
MMP

Post by MMP »

eta150 wrote:sorry :oops:
but yeah, it's looks really similar to one. After a second look though, I can definitely see the difference.
No problem. Now after taking a closer look of some photos with airplanes built from kits, they do look similar. One varsity kid last year did try the earlier kit and was quite disappointed with it so this year we only used home built planes. It is impressive how much better this year's kits are. If we started from kits this year, it could have saved us lot of time. But then where would all the fun (tear+joy) be !
eta150

Post by eta150 »

I know what you mean, I use a kit largely for the supplies, not necessarily the design. Whatever you did, it definitely worked. I think I actually met you at nats, and what I was most impressed with was how you could carve pieces out of the motor stick and still fly without torque bowing.
#ACESWILD
MMP

Post by MMP »

ok, if you got nothing better to do for 6 minutes, the video (up to 720p HD) of entire flight is now available at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqt-FsekeqE
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Nice flight.

PS, trivia, the gentleman in the floral hawaiian shirt at the very end of the video is Dave Zigler, the proprietor of Freedom Flight Models.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jgan96
State: NY

Post by jgan96 »

MMP wrote:ok, if you got nothing better to do for 6 minutes, the video (up to 720p HD) of entire flight is now available at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqt-FsekeqE
Nice flight! And nice plane; I'm not much into modding specially made kits like for SO, but with the cheap ones like Guillow, I modded it a lot and got some good air out of it actually.

Out of curiosity, why did your team stand up and release in that manner? Normally I see people crouch or bend down and release their plane over close to the ground.

:idea: Not to criticize, but your plane climbs quite fast. :idea: It stayed up at its peak nicely however.

-Jason
I'm a n00b. Deal with it. I love what I do. :D

eta150

Post by eta150 »

I can explain the launch. If you are in a huge building like the armory, and even at peak torque, you can't quite reach the ceiling (like in that flight), then it makes more sense to stand up, so that you can get another ~7 feet of peak height and descent, adding to the time. I think almost all teams were doing this, including me with my ill-fated flight.
#ACESWILD
MMP

Post by MMP »

jander14indoor wrote: PS, trivia, the gentleman in the floral hawaiian shirt at the very end of the video is Dave Zigler, the proprietor of Freedom Flight Models.
No wonder he went to talk to our coaches after flight and asked if we used Freedom Flight model. We might have disappointed him.
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

MMP - Thanks for posting the amazing video of the 2nd place flight at Nationals. Congratulations to Marie Murphy. I was amazed that the plane did not go "dead stick", i.e. run out of winds, until near the end of the flight.

Also, in further answer to another post, it was very smart to launch the plane from full extension of the arms overhead.

You know the reasons why, but I want to explain to others.

In very high ceiling hight flying sites, you wind to max torque, and don't back off so the plane will climb as high as possible. Many planes experience some motor stick bending and/or stab twist at the beginning of the flight. This can cause positive stab incidence, wide turns, lack of adquate wash - in, etc. You want max altitude at launch in case the plane initially flies in a downward path before the toruqe bleeds off. There is little chance the plane will hit the ceiling so launching from max height is not a problem.

Also, at very high launch torque, the plane can experience prop stall, and "hang" on its prop, i.e. dangle nearly vertically. Max launch height can allow the plane to experience this event yet not touch the ground and still recover.

In low ceiling height flying sites, you often back off torque to get a "no touch" flight, i.e. one that does not hit the celing. You launch from a kneeling position to get the maxium available flying height and there is little chance the plane will experience motor stick bending that will give positive stab incidence and a downward trajectory on launch.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”