General Questions

bearasauras
State: CA

Re: General Questions

Post by bearasauras »

old wrote:At our State competition 4 teams got the maximum possible points (all tasks compteted, 40 seconds of mass moving and perfect timing) so it went to tie breaker. Since the first tiebreaker is fewest penalty points, and none of these teams got any penalty points, the tiebreaker became closest to ideal time. I am concerned that if 4 teams got perfect scores at States then probably at least a dozen will do so at Nationals so the medals will be awarded based on stop watch timing to less than 1 second accuracy. Since it is very difficult for the timers to anticipate the final task it is likely that the timing accuracy will be very poor, and therefor the medals are going to more reflect the accuracy of the timers than the accuracy of the Mission possible device. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I believe that a couple of years ago the Robo Cross event had over a dozen teams that got perfect scores and the medals were determined by stopwatch timing, but in that event the times varied by tens of seconds, not hundredths of seconds.
I don't know if you're from NorCal or SoCal...but if you're from SoCal, it's true that the top 4 teams had all tasks completed, etc, but none of the 22 teams had a tie. None of the top 4 teams had the ideal time (to within the closest whole sec) and each of them had at least 1 sec difference from the next placing team.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

How has everyone been doing, timing wise, what can you get and what not(which seconds are the most hard to get closest to)?
old
Division: C
State: CA

Post by old »

bearasauras wrote:
old wrote:At our State competition 4 teams got the maximum possible points (all tasks compteted, 40 seconds of mass moving and perfect timing) so it went to tie breaker. Since the first tiebreaker is fewest penalty points, and none of these teams got any penalty points, the tiebreaker became closest to ideal time. I am concerned that if 4 teams got perfect scores at States then probably at least a dozen will do so at Nationals so the medals will be awarded based on stop watch timing to less than 1 second accuracy. Since it is very difficult for the timers to anticipate the final task it is likely that the timing accuracy will be very poor, and therefor the medals are going to more reflect the accuracy of the timers than the accuracy of the Mission possible device. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I believe that a couple of years ago the Robo Cross event had over a dozen teams that got perfect scores and the medals were determined by stopwatch timing, but in that event the times varied by tens of seconds, not hundredths of seconds.
I don't know if you're from NorCal or SoCal...but if you're from SoCal, it's true that the top 4 teams had all tasks completed, etc, but none of the 22 teams had a tie. None of the top 4 teams had the ideal time (to within the closest whole sec) and each of them had at least 1 sec difference from the next placing team.
It would seem that I am from a different area than you are. We had 4 teams complete all tasks with no penalties and maximum points. It turns out that only 2 had exactly (to a full second) the correct timing, while the other two were off by 1 second. So in the end the tie breaker was only necessary to differentiate between 1st and 2nd, and then 3rd and 4th, it was not actually a 4 way tie. I would expect to see many more ties at Nationals since all the best teams from each state will be there.
hlall
Division: C
State: MD

Post by hlall »

Curt wrote: to clerify the balloon will not be just flying up it will be hooked to a string with somekind of braking mechanism. Can the flag be just under the balloon or must if be at the top of the "flagpole"
can the balloon be considered as the flagpole?

i have two TSL's one stating the flag and other saying the balloon so i am prepared to change it to a flag if needs be. oh and States is in two days :oops:
For the record, we had the balloon idea as well and took the risk at nationals. It made it past arbitration. We've been under the impression since we started that the height of the flag was the first tiebreaker, and didn't realize that 'closest to ideal time' actually meant to the tenths, not to the least integer. In the end the height must have made a difference between at least one set of teams, but ultimately the only real advantage you garner using a balloon is the creativity factor :).

Return to “Mission Possible C”