Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Questions

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

thepotato wrote:I hope this is in the right place.

Is burning steel wool with a 9v battery okay?
Is sewing thread fine as a monofilament?
I think that would be a hazard...might want to ask on http://www.soinc.org, sewing thread I think is composed of more than one "filament", i think it was disscussed before though.
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:

I think that would be a hazard...might want to ask on http://www.soinc.org, sewing thread I think is composed of more than one "filament", i think it was disscussed before though.
Depends on what kind of thread you use. I used a nylon sewing thread, which is a monofilament. It also burned quite easily. My mom's a quilter, so I know about these things, kind off :)

Steel wool I'm not so sure about though. I don't know if that's a conductable or not (assuming that's the step you're talking about). A 9v battery is kind of big. We used a circuit from 2 D batteries, and that's only 3 volts.
Last edited by courage7856 on April 11th, 2010, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

courage7856 wrote:

Depends on what kind of thread you use. I used a nylon sewing thread, which is a monofilament. It also burned quite easily. My mom's a quilter, so I know about these things, kind off :)

Steel wool I'm not so sure about though. I don't know if that's a monofilament or not (assuming that's the step you're talking about). A 9v battery is kind of big. We used a circuit from 2 D batteries, and that's only 3 volts.
That works, we tryed that too but the thread is way too weak, fishing line FTW
thepotato
Division: C

Post by thepotato »

courage7856 wrote:

Steel wool I'm not so sure about though. I don't know if that's a monofilament or not (assuming that's the step you're talking about). A 9v battery is kind of big. We used a circuit from 2 D batteries, and that's only 3 volts.
I got some fishing line, and it works quite nicely.

courage, I was not planning on using steel as the monofilament. I was using it as the heat from resistance thing.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

remember to shield they smoke!
thepotato

Post by thepotato »

do they actually deduct the 50 just for smoke?
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

it would be considered leaving the device
thepotato

Post by thepotato »

man, your judges must be really harsh. I used string as the mono, steel wool for the resistance, and a brushless motor, but the judge didnt mind.
and I had smoke
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

thepotato wrote:man, your judges must be really harsh. I used string as the mono, steel wool for the resistance, and a brushless motor, but the judge didnt mind.
and I had smoke
Okay, that's what I thought you were doing (more or less). We had smoke too, and the judge was like, "Is that okay? Your device is smoking." We said that it happened all the time, and the guy just shrugged and didn't seem to care. Our coaches and our varisty counterparts (who competed right before us) were cracking up.

I just realized I called steel wool monofilament. Wow. I really am tired after state.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

OLD RULES stated that small amounts of smoke and odor were okay. All those years, three Missions flat-out ON FIRE (flames licking up the sides) and countless mostly-odor devices, and I never assessed the penalty. Why? Because smoke, stink and fires are fun, that's why. Free publicity, too. And when is it "excessive"? When even the BDU dogs are running for the door?

It really isn't addressed in this year's rules-- sort of. I won't encourage the burning steel wool, though, because candles are banned. Nat'l Sup himself also said, "no flames". Argue all you want about whether burning steel wool has flames or not (maybe reconsider after looking at under IR and UV light-- surprise!), but at almost all tournaments, you can't appeal a safety issue. How well do you know your event sup? A sympathetic sup can over look a few strands of steel wool without risking career & reputation, but a wad the size of a bar of Irish Spring is a different matter-- another coach sees and arbitrates, and it's suddenly out of the event sup's hands.

All tournaments where I have final say are done, and I have otehr issues to deal with; maybe a clarification needs to be sent in by someone (don't mention IR or UV observcation, though!). I AM curious, however, as to how it works out, bothy clarification and actual tournaments.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!

Return to “Mission Possible C”