General Questions

Sir_L_Jenkins
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Questions

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:its the old wingnut trick, I got the motor from a garage sale, literllay it was a cordless drill motor, just the motor. so i don't know the actual voltage recomended, were using a 6 volt right now, and after using a voltmeter have found it is only at 5.92. Is a voltage regulator allowed? becasue i think that might help.
I think a voltage regulator is technically a transistor, which is not allowed
I was researching them before for that exact purpose, however I believe I concluded that they would be illegal, if they are actually allowed by all means correct me
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

Sir_L_Jenkins wrote:I think a voltage regulator is technically a transistor, which is not allowed
I was researching them before for that exact purpose, however I believe I concluded that they would be illegal, if they are actually allowed by all means correct me
Correct, you cannot use voltage regulators. Here's the block diagram of a pretty typical linear voltage regulator:
There's plenty that's not allowed, but in particular there is the transistor in the top right.
cypressfalls Robert wrote:its the old wingnut trick, I got the motor from a garage sale, literllay it was a cordless drill motor, just the motor. so i don't know the actual voltage recomended, were using a 6 volt right now, and after using a voltmeter have found it is only at 5.92. Is a voltage regulator allowed? becasue i think that might help.
If it is a cordless drill motor, then it was probably running off of a multiple of 1.2V, rather than 1.5V. I mean, it will work with whatever, but you might actually be aiming more in the 7.2V range for ideal results. But I'd just play it by ear...and by nose.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

are there any voltage regulators without transistors?....linear or electromagnetic/electromechanical voltage regulators......
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Resistors can be used to limit voltage, but they do a poor job and waste power. The problem is that they limit current which is necessary to produce torque needed to get things started. The reduction in torque can produce erratic, unpredictable results. You're better off using the proper voltage to run the motor and reducing the speed with gearing, if necessary.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
maggymay

Post by maggymay »

Sometimes I think I almost hate this event...all this 'not allowed' stuff is driving us crazy. We're really really REALLY *trying* to follow the rules, but sometimes they're hard to figure out and sometimes it's hard to get a *clear* clarification.

cypressfalls Robert - Are there ANY of your task-actions that you can gear? If you gear down the pulling/pushing up/down motion that might slow down that particular task. It's kind of like the difference between a little kid's trike and a racing bike...I *think*. Could you maybe decrease the amount of voltage a task is getting, maybe even something as simple as using a smaller battery-set? :?

Have I said before that sometimes I almost hate this event?
fredfredburger
State: NC

Post by fredfredburger »

maggymay wrote:Sometimes I think I almost hate this event...all this 'not allowed' stuff is driving us crazy. We're really really REALLY *trying* to follow the rules, but sometimes they're hard to figure out and sometimes it's hard to get a *clear* clarification.

cypressfalls Robert - Are there ANY of your task-actions that you can gear? If you gear down the pulling/pushing up/down motion that might slow down that particular task. It's kind of like the difference between a little kid's trike and a racing bike...I *think*. Could you maybe decrease the amount of voltage a task is getting, maybe even something as simple as using a smaller battery-set? :?

Well, I'd say more like riding a bike in 1st vs. 7th gear...

Decreasing voltage scares me, I feels like setting yourself up for failure.
maggymay

Post by maggymay »

fredfredburger wrote:
maggymay wrote:Sometimes I think I almost hate this event...all this 'not allowed' stuff is driving us crazy. We're really really REALLY *trying* to follow the rules, but sometimes they're hard to figure out and sometimes it's hard to get a *clear* clarification.

Well, I'd say more like riding a bike in 1st vs. 7th gear...

Decreasing voltage scares me, I feels like setting yourself up for failure.
That too...
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

but sometimes they're hard to figure out and sometimes it's hard to get a *clear* clarification.
What many people fail to understand it that technical (building) event rules are the same a written test. It's up to you to research how components work and whether they violate the rules. Use prohibited items and you've failed the test.That "muffin" fan has lot of solid state support circuitry inside and you need to do your homework to discover it.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
maggymay

Post by maggymay »

We want to take a 'first-aid' kit to our competition for possible emergency repairs during set-up. In SOs already run, was your extra 'stuff' impounded along with the MP 'box'?
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

maggymay wrote:We want to take a 'first-aid' kit to our competition for possible emergency repairs during set-up. In SOs already run, was your extra 'stuff' impounded along with the MP 'box'?
I would impound it along with the MP box, I don't see any reason why not to unless you might need it for another event. In any case, why bother trying to toe the line if you don't need to?

Return to “Mission Possible C”