Hydraulics and Pneumatics

Breaking Yaytz
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydraulics and Pneumatics

Post by Breaking Yaytz »

Okay, so now I have the pump all hooked up to a 60 mL syringe, but it doesn't even have enough power to suck water up, let alone move the syringe. I flipped the polarity also with no success.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

Breaking Yaytz wrote:Okay, so now I have the pump all hooked up to a 60 mL syringe, but it doesn't even have enough power to suck water up, let alone move the syringe. I flipped the polarity also with no success.
Ok we had this problem too, the syringes, after a while ,kinda get stuck and so right before our run we have to push them in an out and loosen them up and they work for like a few minutes...this is bad, any solutions
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Dark Sabre wrote:If I had to guess, I would say that the barbed fitting is the outlet, since that would be the only tube under positive pressure. I'm not sure why there are two others at the moment.
While that makes good sense, I can't think of an automotive application which would have two intakes and one outlet. It looks like a washer fluid pump, and I believe that the barbed fitting is the intake and the two smooth fittings are the outlets, one of which would be intended to go to each of the two wipers.
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

Check the instruction sheet & electrical connector(s) for polarity markings. Reverse polarity, besides a rather comical surprise effect, causes severe wear on just about any pump type in SECONDS, whether there's water supplied or not.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
Breaking Yaytz
State: IL

Post by Breaking Yaytz »

I just thought of a painfully simple solution, if it is considered an enclosed pneumatic system. I took a small syringe and glued shut the end that lets air in. Then, I pulled the syringe out to its full extent and tied it with a thin string. By rigging up a mousetrap, I managed to break the string, making the syringe pull back inside because of the low pressure and had it trigger a mousetrap. Is this considered pneumatics?
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Breaking Yaytz wrote:I just thought of a painfully simple solution, if it is considered an enclosed pneumatic system. I took a small syringe and glued shut the end that lets air in. Then, I pulled the syringe out to its full extent and tied it with a thin string. By rigging up a mousetrap, I managed to break the string, making the syringe pull back inside because of the low pressure and had it trigger a mousetrap. Is this considered pneumatics?
It depends what the next action is following the breaking of the string. The syringe shoots back into the tube because of the low pressure, but what does this trigger?
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

Breaking Yaytz wrote:I just thought of a painfully simple solution, if it is considered an enclosed pneumatic system. I took a small syringe and glued shut the end that lets air in. Then, I pulled the syringe out to its full extent and tied it with a thin string. By rigging up a mousetrap, I managed to break the string, making the syringe pull back inside because of the low pressure and had it trigger a mousetrap. Is this considered pneumatics?
I had set up something very similar to that idea which made me so amazed at people talking about using pumps and how much trouble they were having figuring out this task.

It's a lot simpler than it seems.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

penclspinner wrote:
I had set up something very similar to that idea which made me so amazed at people talking about using pumps and how much trouble they were having figuring out this task.

It's a lot simpler than it seems.
yea its easier than it looks, one team used a sandwichbag and dropped something on one end and something shot up on the other end.
11madmic
State: MI

Post by 11madmic »

we have a 5oo gram mass press down on a 1ml syring that is filled with water and pushes up a 3ml syringe that activates a mouse trap. it works really fast and have had no problems with it. we tried to use a 100 ml syringe and it took to much initial force to start it moving and makes the time vary. our goal is to run everything but the moving mass in short amount of time possible like 3 seconds and use our super accurate timing on our moving mass to finish the rest of the time. this garentees us we are within a second of the time given. after states i will post a vid, it is pretty sleek bc it is made of plexyglass. Suprisingly we had absolutely no outside help with construction but just like 200 hours of work. :D
2010 Events:
Elevated Bridge [Regionals-1st]...(State-4th)
Mission Possible [Regionals-1st]...(State-14th)
Mouse Trap Vehicle (State-4th Place)
Fossils [Regionals-1st]
Environmental Chemistry [Regionals-1st]
Picture This [Regionals-BAD]

Return to “Mission Possible C”