Hydraulics and Pneumatics

Sir_L_Jenkins
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydraulics and Pneumatics

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

Flavorflav wrote:If your hydraulic system had a small leak, would consider that it was no longer an enclosed system?
I would imagine, plus I suppose that could be counted as a "spill". Besides, I don't think I would want a leak in the middle of my mission that has a wooden floor + electrical wires everywhere =0
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.
Uncle Fester
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

I can make the argument that an "enclosed patio" with a 20-inch hole drilled in the side is still an "enclosed patio". In the tourneys I ran so far, and the ones coming up, NO PENALTY. I view the rules as eliminating gravity flow or water as a counterbalance, like "never intended to be pressurized in the first place." the huge leaker I mentioned elsewhere GOT the hydraulics because it did move the whole distance under pressure, but a boundary violation was added because it hosed people 30 feet away.

But as always, I have to mention "Other event sups may differ". SO, either get me to run your event (just might be available), or make sure yours doesn't leak.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
yousmellchinese123

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

Would it count if we just had a mass fall on a syringe causing the air forced out to do the next task for example a domino to fall?
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

By having the air leave it would not be considered a closed system so NO.
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

yousmellchinese123 wrote:Would it count if we just had a mass fall on a syringe causing the air forced out to do the next task for example a domino to fall?
Just hook a second syringe on and have it extending hit the domino. That would be a closed system and probably more reliable too.
yousmellchinese123

Dark Sabre wrote:
yousmellchinese123 wrote:Would it count if we just had a mass fall on a syringe causing the air forced out to do the next task for example a domino to fall?
Just hook a second syringe on and have it extending hit the domino. That would be a closed system and probably more reliable too.
Thanks for the suggestion, I was falling towards that side too. Haha, I forgot about the closed system, should've read up befroe I posted.
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

yousmellchinese123 wrote:
Dark Sabre wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I was falling towards that side too. Haha, I forgot about the closed system, should've read up befroe I posted.
I don't mean to judge your device, but make sure those dominoes are completely reliable. I had an issue with wind power on my machine--it was occasionally trigged by the mousetrap at the beginning (rather than the fan), which short-circuited half our events. It would be heartbreaking if someone bumped your table while the device was running and started the domino chain.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

Primate wrote:I don't mean to judge your device, but make sure those dominoes are completely reliable. I had an issue with wind power on my machine--it was occasionally trigged by the mousetrap at the beginning (rather than the fan), which short-circuited half our events. It would be heartbreaking if someone bumped your table while the device was running and started the domino chain.
I don't think the judges would allow anyone to even touch the same table you would be working on.
yousmellchinese123

Primate wrote:
yousmellchinese123 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, I was falling towards that side too. Haha, I forgot about the closed system, should've read up befroe I posted.
I don't mean to judge your device, but make sure those dominoes are completely reliable. I had an issue with wind power on my machine--it was occasionally trigged by the mousetrap at the beginning (rather than the fan), which short-circuited half our events. It would be heartbreaking if someone bumped your table while the device was running and started the domino chain.
Ouch... Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure of that!
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:
Primate wrote:I don't mean to judge your device, but make sure those dominoes are completely reliable. I had an issue with wind power on my machine--it was occasionally trigged by the mousetrap at the beginning (rather than the fan), which short-circuited half our events. It would be heartbreaking if someone bumped your table while the device was running and started the domino chain.
I don't think the judges would allow anyone to even touch the same table you would be working on.
I am sure that if the judges were in absolute control of the event it wouldn't happen, but then again it's not like anyone ever asks for permission to bump the table either, it just seems to happen accidentally

Return to “Mission Possible C”