Hydraulics and Pneumatics

penclspinner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydraulics and Pneumatics

Post by penclspinner »

Xenarian wrote:I requested two clarifications a week ago, and haven't gotten responses for either of them!
Where exactly did you guys send your clarification requests? I did to the people listed on my states Olympiad website. I guess that was the wrong place?
If your clarifications are intended to be used for a state or regional competition then yes you have sent your requests to the correct people. Your regional/state director will get back to you as soon as possible. I would just be as patient as possible.

If your clarifications are intended for the national tournament then you need to send in your clarifications here
maggymay
Division: C

Post by maggymay »

I'm really having problems with this action/task...we have two syringes and plastic tubing but getting enough force to push or pull one of the syringes in? :lol: ...

Everything else we're kind of/sort of making progress on, but this one has us stumped.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Be careful using the abbreviation "EM". That abbreviation is often used for "electromagnetic radiation" which is not the same as magnetism. Onthe other hand, a "basic electromagnet" is a "solenoid".
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Zsharma

Post by Zsharma »

Hey you guys I did the thing outlined in the wiki with the pump but it doesn't work at all... not enough power to push the syringe out. I think its because my syringe is only 10mL. So, WHERE do I get these HUGE syringes that everyone seems to have??
I need to get this done as this is the only thing not working on my device, and the state comp is this Saturday :O

BTW I tried one of the meat thingies at Walmart.... the needle thing won't make it work....
2010 placement (CHS tournament, Aviation, Regionals, State)
Physics Lab 1st, 1st, 1st, 9th
It's About Time 1st, 1st, 2nd, N/A
Mission Possible 1st, 1st, 9th, 3rd
Breaking Yaytz
State: IL

Post by Breaking Yaytz »

Is an electrical pump an authorized electrical device?
maggymay

Post by maggymay »

maggymay wrote:I'm really having problems with this action/task...we have two syringes and plastic tubing but getting enough force to push or pull one of the syringes in? :lol: ...

Everything else we're kind of/sort of making progress on, but this one has us stumped.
We've pretty much decided to scrap the hydraulic/pneumatic task...just can't quite figure out how to make it work. oh well.
Uncle Fester
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

Why wouldn't it be? No transistors, isn't made out of photocells, and doesn't contain microprocessors. ALSO, rules call for a penalty if any motors are running BEFORE starting, which infers that motors ARE allowed. A pump is just a tube with a pair of valves and a reciprocating piston, all connected to a motor.

FYI, if you have sturdy 9v or 10v power, a replacement 12v windshield washer pump works great. You won't even notice the 2 or 3v difference.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Why wouldn't it be? No transistors, isn't made out of photocells, and doesn't contain microprocessors. ALSO, rules call for a penalty if any motors are running BEFORE starting, which infers that motors ARE allowed. A pump is just a tube with a pair of valves and a reciprocating piston, all connected to a motor.

FYI, if you have sturdy 9v or 10v power, a replacement 12v windshield washer pump works great. You won't even notice the 2 or 3v difference.
Motors are specifically listed under 3.d. As for pumps, I asked just to be safe and the SOINC people said pumps were fine.
Breaking Yaytz
State: IL

Post by Breaking Yaytz »

I just went out to buy this part, but I don't have the slightest idea of which nozzle is the inlet and which is the outlet, and for the matter why there are three nozzles. How would I use this?
http://www.monsterautoparts.com/CHEVROL ... 8-6710.jpg
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

If I had to guess, I would say that the barbed fitting is the outlet, since that would be the only tube under positive pressure. I'm not sure why there are two others at the moment.

You shouldn't hurt the pump running it dry accidentally for short periods of time, so I'd just stick a tube on each of the fittings, get a glass of water, and see what happens with each :lol:

Return to “Mission Possible C”