Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Batteries

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

This is just a random thing i learned about battereies.
Ok so I was at competition and we had just finished with our mission and without thinking I just shoved the extra 9 volt batteries I had in my jacket pocket. In an hour I began feeling a burning sensation as I was walking and then relizing it was the batteries I threw them from my pocket, the were boilling hot :o :? !!! The plastic coating was melting off and one battery had expanded abnormally creating a hole in the battery. :shock:
Lesson learned---->KEEP BATTERIES IN SEPERATE HOLDING CONTAINERS!!!!!!!or just not touching any other metal.
Primate
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Primate »

cypressfalls_Robert wrote:This is just a random thing i learned about battereies.
Ok so I was at competition and we had just finished with our mission and without thinking I just shoved the extra 9 volt batteries I had in my jacket pocket. In an hour I began feeling a burning sensation as I was walking and then relizing it was the batteries I threw them from my pocket, the were boilling hot :o :? !!! The plastic coating was melting off and one battery had expanded abnormally creating a hole in the battery. :shock:
Lesson learned---->KEEP BATTERIES IN SEPERATE HOLDING CONTAINERS!!!!!!!or just not touching any other metal.
Wow, I'm impressed you managed to keep the two terminals touching for so long. Did they end up getting clipped together. (Which, by the way, is a known flaw in 9V batteries.) My recommendation is to bury your nine volts deep beneath the surface of the earth, and replace them with a nice set of 4 D-cells :D.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

What is a good way to keep all those wires out of the way in the mission, because mine are just there, with maybe some tape here and there but thats it.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Ty-raps?
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

Besides the tie-wraps themselves, they make those little square things you can stick or screw to your box, and run a tie-wrap through a slot in them. They're great-- you can fasten stuff down ANYWHERE without going into contortions.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

We are using a very very very simple circuit, and used duct tape/ electrical tape (it really doesn't matter) to connect our batteries (D batteries, by the way). The only thing is that you have to be careful on the ends of the batteries that the heat can melt both kinds of tape. It can also give you nasty burns or burn the paperclips you were using as wires. Nasty stuff.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

courage7856 wrote:We are using a very very very simple circuit, and used duct tape/ electrical tape (it really doesn't matter) to connect our batteries (D batteries, by the way). The only thing is that you have to be careful on the ends of the batteries that the heat can melt both kinds of tape. It can also give you nasty burns or burn the paperclips you were using as wires. Nasty stuff.
If your wires are heating up, it means you have too much current in the circuit. Try using different batteries and/or thicker wire.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

When making connections with tape, they tend to have a lot of resistance. This causes the connection to heat up when the circuit is powered up. This heats the tape and softens the adhesive. If this is a problem, strip the insulation farther back so more bare wire is exposed and bend the bare wire in a spiral so there is more surface in contact with the battery. This will reduce the resistance and produce less heat.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Paradox21 wrote:
courage7856 wrote:We are using a very very very simple circuit, and used duct tape/ electrical tape (it really doesn't matter) to connect our batteries (D batteries, by the way). The only thing is that you have to be careful on the ends of the batteries that the heat can melt both kinds of tape. It can also give you nasty burns or burn the paperclips you were using as wires. Nasty stuff.
If your wires are heating up, it means you have too much current in the circuit. Try using different batteries and/or thicker wire.
fleet130 wrote:When making connections with tape, they tend to have a lot of resistance. This causes the connection to heat up when the circuit is powered up. This heats the tape and softens the adhesive. If this is a problem, strip the insulation farther back so more bare wire is exposed and bend the bare wire in a spiral so there is more surface in contact with the battery. This will reduce the resistance and produce less heat.
She said he was using paperclips as wires. That could help explain the heat problem.
Last edited by Flavorflav on March 3rd, 2010, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

Flavorflav wrote:
Paradox21 wrote: If your wires are heating up, it means you have too much current in the circuit. Try using different batteries and/or thicker wire.
fleet130 wrote:When making connections with tape, they tend to have a lot of resistance. This causes the connection to heat up when the circuit is powered up. This heats the tape and softens the adhesive. If this is a problem, strip the insulation farther back so more bare wire is exposed and bend the bare wire in a spiral so there is more surface in contact with the battery. This will reduce the resistance and produce less heat.
I think both of you guys missed the part where he said he was using paperclips as wires. I think that explains the whole heat problem right there.
Yup. That's what I meant. I would, however, prefer to be referred to as "she" given that I am a girl. Me and my friends love to do the battery and paperclip thing, so when we saw that, we had to do it, even if it isn't the most effective way.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M

Return to “Mission Possible C”