Thoughts? (on rule points)

SerMSYS
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thoughts? (on rule points)

Post by SerMSYS »

Dark Sabre wrote:So you can 100% use lightbulbs, LEDs, and photoresistors now :D
Are regular semiconductor diodes allowed? Given that LEDs are allowed I don't see why not...
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

DeltaHat wrote:In an attempt to clarify, things have only gotten muddier.
On further checking, I discovered they really mean to allow photo resistors only, as specified in the official clarification. Whether or not local judges will have the same interpretation can only be found out by asking each individual. Ask them as early as possible so they can give the question proper consideration.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

fleet130 wrote:
DeltaHat wrote:In an attempt to clarify, things have only gotten muddier.
On further checking, I discovered they really mean to allow photo resistors only, as specified in the official clarification. Whether or not local judges will have the same interpretation can only be found out by asking each individual. Ask them as early as possible so they can give the question proper consideration.
Are regular semiconductor diodes allowed? Given that LEDs are allowed I don't see why not...
LEDs, light bulbs and photo resistors all involve light. Regular diodes do not. They are also not on the list of allowed devices. My best guess it they would not be allowed.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

e. Liquids (except for water)......
According to this rule the only liquid that we can use is water.

So would carbonated water would be okay to use?
rockhound
State: FL

Post by rockhound »

cypressfalls_Robert wrote:
e. Liquids (except for water)......
According to this rule the only liquid that we can use is water.

So would carbonated water would be okay to use?
I don't see why not. The carbonated part of carbonated water is not a liquid.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

rockhound wrote:So would carbonated water would be okay to use?
The rules do say "water", not "carbonated water" Again, my best guess is; it would be OK if you use only the properties of the water. If your usage depends on the C02, it would not. Judges could therefore automatically disallow it based on: "If you're not using the CO2, why use carbonated water?"

Any answer here can only be a guess. The only person who can answer this type of question with any degree of certainty is the one who will be judging you at your tournament.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Thank goodness New York's rule clarifications are explicit and non contradictory:
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat »

Nice!
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

About the rules . . .

I heard that this year a ball has to go up a conveyor belt (or something like that) and you get points for every second it stays on the conveyor belt. Is there a maximum amount of time that the conveyor belt can be moving (i.e a cap on how many points you can earn for that task)?
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
rockhound
State: FL

Post by rockhound »

aubrey048 wrote:About the rules . . .

I heard that this year a ball has to go up a conveyor belt (or something like that) and you get points for every second it stays on the conveyor belt. Is there a maximum amount of time that the conveyor belt can be moving (i.e a cap on how many points you can earn for that task)?
There is a max in points that can be earned by the moving mass but not in the amount of time the moving mass moves.

Return to “Mission Possible C”