Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electronics

Post by Paradox21 »

I use one of the blue relays from radio shack, sadly I don't have one of the little bags with the specs on it. I keep them all at school. Regardless, I power the coils with 9 volt batteries and they work very well.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
zcshiner
State: PA

Post by zcshiner »

Radio Shack does sell a 9v relay. And yes, its the blue one.
Primate
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Just for my sake, anyone looking to get a relay should get this one. It's only 5 volts, so you can trigger it using your standard supply of four alkaline cells or a 6v lantern. I've had a very bad history with 9v batteries, since they last for all of two minutes. Swap them out if you can.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

how can you trigger that relay with a radioshack photocell?How many are needed?
Primate

Post by Primate »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:how can you trigger that relay with a radioshack photocell?How many are needed?
By photocell, I'm going to assume that you mean a photoresistor. Using a photovoltaic cell (ie, a solar panel) and 10 volts of light doesn't generate enough current to shock a flea. Instead, you'll want to do something like what Dark Sabre did here. Basically, take two photoresistors, wire them up in parallel to the coil of the relay, and stick them next to a very bright light. You can easily get this to trigger with a standard flashlight lightbulb on 6 volts or more, just make sure the resistors are practically touching the lightbulb.

By the way, Radio Shack sells a nice pack of assorted photoresistors. They should be somewhere in the resistors drawer. I've only tried the kind pictured in Dark's photo, but I'm sure you could find a different arrangement that could maybe work without the need for the relay at all.

Edit: Out of curiosity, why do you need a relay at all?
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

we can't get the photoresistor to power anything major, and what we can is really really bad. We have a mini 3v motor that can't pull a switch closed after atatching string on it so it will wind and pull the lever on the switch. So maybe the relay should work. :)
Primate

Post by Primate »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:we can't get the photoresistor to power anything major, and what we can is really really bad. We have a mini 3v motor that can't pull a switch closed after atatching string on it so it will wind and pull the lever on the switch. So maybe the relay should work. :)
That might be an issue--if you can't get a 3v motor to work properly, I doubt that a 5v relay will trip. You can give it a shot (I'm running mine around 4.5v and it works just fine), but there's a good chance it's not gonna work. Are you just using one resistor? Two in parallel gave much better results for me, but I still had to put it less than a millimeter away from a bright lightbulb.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Are you using one of those halogen lightbulbs? if not what kind?
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Primate wrote:
cypressfalls Robert wrote:we can't get the photoresistor to power anything major, and what we can is really really bad. We have a mini 3v motor that can't pull a switch closed after atatching string on it so it will wind and pull the lever on the switch. So maybe the relay should work. :)
That might be an issue--if you can't get a 3v motor to work properly, I doubt that a 5v relay will trip. You can give it a shot (I'm running mine around 4.5v and it works just fine), but there's a good chance it's not gonna work. Are you just using one resistor? Two in parallel gave much better results for me, but I still had to put it less than a millimeter away from a bright lightbulb.
When we could not get any of our motors to turn, we went to a 5v relay and it trips reliably with two photocells.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

In order to get mine to work, I started with 10v in series and 1 photoresistor. Then I added more photoresistors in parallel, 1 at a time, until it started working consistently. I have a flashlight head shining on 4 photoresistors that trigger a fairly small motor (never had the specs for it) that triggers a switch that has had weight added to it so it will trigger easier. It was a bit tedious to figure out initially, but it is very consistent now.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Return to “Mission Possible C”