Moving a mass for ten seconds

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Moving a mass for ten seconds

Post by Flavorflav »

Question: if the step after the motor is the hydraulics (two syringes), would you count the next action as being initiated as soon as the plunger of the syringe begins to move the fluid, or not until the other plunger acts on its target?
zcshiner
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by zcshiner »

Flavorflav wrote:Question: if the step after the motor is the hydraulics (two syringes), would you count the next action as being initiated as soon as the plunger of the syringe begins to move the fluid, or not until the other plunger acts on its target?
The rules state "Activate either Pneumatics or Hydraulics in an enclosed system that leads to the next action."

Because it says "activate" I would consider the step being initiated as soon as the plunger begins to move the fluid. The step following the hydraulics would be initiated when the plunger acts on it's target.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Okay, thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. The judges will have to watch that carefully, then.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

Does anyone know where to find any speed rduction gearboxes?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

which one of those is speed reduction? I only see speed increasing gearboxes.
longliveemomusic
Division: C
State: CA

Post by longliveemomusic »

Hmm, is everyone here attempting the string and motor method of moving the mass?

I'm using a rly long piece of threaded metal rod and a slow motor to move a block of wood along the threads of the rod.
This method is okay right?
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:
which one of those is speed reduction? I only see speed increasing gearboxes.
Look again.
longliveemomusic wrote:Hmm, is everyone here attempting the string and motor method of moving the mass?

I'm using a rly long piece of threaded metal rod and a slow motor to move a block of wood along the threads of the rod.
This method is okay right?
Absolutely. People use string because it is easier to set up, but your method is more reliable (no tangles).
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:which one of those is speed reduction? I only see speed increasing gearboxes.
I think you must be looking at the ratios backwards, they are all speed reducing.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Gooblah
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Gooblah »

Can this task be combined with the golf ball movement?

This is my first year doing this event in Division C (I did it in Division B, but that's a whole different ballgame). I was thinking having a motor/string method pull the golf ball slowly up 30 cm.

To be honest, it seems like a lot of these tasks can be combined in order to simplify the machine's design and construction....
Events: Remote Sensing, Chem. Lab, It's About Time, Dynamic Planet, Mission Possible, Env. Chem. The latter two I found out I had to do 4 weeks before Regionals. Fun, fun, fun.

Return to “Mission Possible C”