General competition discussion

brouhaha
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

General competition discussion

Post by brouhaha »

what did you guys think of mission at regionals?
brouhaha

Re: General competition discussion

Post by brouhaha »

i was pretty nervous about how i would do today (SE regionals). I quintuple checked every thing so i would'n mess up. It was a big relief to see that my device made it through the first few seconds(7 of the 10 tasks occur in this time frame). I suppose I was really only nervous about a new part i just put in on Saturday. I hate last minute changes, but this one was for the better. I only got to test it once before packing up and leaving. Now that I've seen it all work more than once, i feel much more confident for future competitions.

how have your devices been fairing?
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

brouhaha wrote:what did you guys think of mission at regionals?
To be honest, I wish you got as many runs as you needed during your thirty minute set-up period. I know, I know, it would be unreliable, since the judge can't perfectly mimic the time it takes for him to go through the TSL with each event, but it would at least give dumb mistakes a second chance. I connected my battery backwards, since I had to swap it out at the last second :oops:.

Each competition is definitely a learning experience, though. I tend to break my devices on the way to competition, so I always end up spending the thirty minutes reconstructing rather than fine-tuning. I'm crossing my fingers that this does extremely well at states, though.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

At my regional competition I did a practice run during the 30 minutes of prep time and had a time that was 1 second over 60 seconds and everything else perfect. When I went to re-setup I found out that a gear on my moving mass bonus had JUST broken off. Oddly, it was only a gear that slowed down the gear reducation so the bonus still functioned but it was the bonus I used to adjust how long the device ran so all of my calibrations flew out the window. I ended up powering it with a few less batteries and just setting it to run as long as possible and it actually ended up running too long :roll:. Luckily the rest of my region is not very good and I still got 1st.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
they might be boned

Post by they might be boned »

Our thing ended up being 4 mm too big.

So we were second tiered from the start, and then the golf ball ended up raising the flag. Very frustrating. And we finished 14th somehow.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

With 61 seconds at Regionals we got gold! Yippee.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

hscmom wrote:With 61 seconds at Regionals we got gold! Yippee.
Nicely done. Looking forward to meeting you at State. Do you happen to know what sort of time Cheyenne Mtn (who came in second in your regionals) got?
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
masterhat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by masterhat »

I have found that many teams are already getting perfect scores. I am afraid that the time tiebreaker will determine the winner at nationals (this is bad because this is based on the judge's reaction time). What do you suggest happens at nationals (the supervisor could use a camera to record, another idea that i had was a photogate)?
Sir_L_Jenkins
State: IN

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

masterhat wrote:I have found that many teams are already getting perfect scores. I am afraid that the time tiebreaker will determine the winner at nationals (this is bad because this is based on the judge's reaction time). What do you suggest happens at nationals (the supervisor could use a camera to record, another idea that i had was a photogate)?
I think they should just make the flagpole be the secondary tiebreaker (or just axe the specific time tiebreaker to how it originally was), it would allow much more creativity and solve the subjectivity problem of tenths or hundredths of a second
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.
maggymay

Post by maggymay »

kinda OT but right now :cry: ?...having serious trouble getting anything to work. we are so in over our heads it's not even funny. a perfect score :lol: ?...for me I think I'll be happy if we get any single task to work, much less first/final/timed-step/whatever.

Return to “Mission Possible C”