General competition discussion

Sir_L_Jenkins
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General competition discussion

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

Looks like he may be oversimplifying a problem so he could possibly sell something that fixes it =P
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General competition discussion

Post by Dark Sabre »

maggymay wrote:I'll rely on your expertise Dark Sabre, but what do you think the EBay seller actually means, that *all* light sensitive devices because of their nature have transistors inside them? I think I understand what you posted, but am soooooooo confused...
Well, what he means is that like if you took apart a night light or some other photoresistor-based device, the photoresistor would probably be wired into either a transistor or set up to provide a logic signal to an IC. The reason is just that the photoresistors can't carry that much current, so you either need to drive a very small load or use the photoresistor to drive a signal. In modern devices, they would use transistors because they are cheaper, solid-state alternatives to relays. The transistor performs the same function as a relay (a small current/voltage triggers a "switch" to be closed that carries a much larger current/voltage).

The actual photoresistors do not have transistors inside them, the devices they are in just usually use transistors in conjunction with them.

Return to “Mission Possible C”