Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Large Competitions & Next Year

Post by Paradox21 »

Our competition was kind of odd. You impounded before the 1st time slot. Then you signed up for a time slot and did your 30 min prep and ran your device immediately afterward.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

Paradox21 wrote:Our competition was kind of odd. You impounded before the 1st time slot. Then you signed up for a time slot and did your 30 min prep and ran your device immediately afterward.
That is more like the impounding that I am familiar with.
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

Paradox21 wrote:Our competition was kind of odd. You impounded before the 1st time slot. Then you signed up for a time slot and did your 30 min prep and ran your device immediately afterward.
That's actually not that odd. That's how most competitions I've been to ran. As soon as it was set up, you told the judge and ran the event. We signed up for times in advance, and the time was the run time (not the time for setup to start).
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Primate wrote:New York just had their state competition this weekend, and ran the event rather surprisingly. At impound, we were required to set up our device in the typical thirty minutes. Of course, they failed to announce this until impound, so we showed up with only two of our three team members. We then got five additional minutes to plug in batteries the day of competition. While I don't doubt it's a more efficient way to run the event, it certainly throws you off.

Now that states is done with and over, I was thinking about what the event'll be like next year. It seemed to run smoothly, so I don't doubt that they'll be running Mission next year. When they did have the event last year, did the transfer requirements change from year-to-year? I know the rules are more specific now, so how do you think they'll change it up for next year? I'm sure there'll be plenty of teams at nationals hitting exactly the target time, so I think they'll definitely institute a better tiebreaker. I'm more worried in terms of tasks, and how much gutting my device will need.

Thoughts?
Wait? So, what's stopping you from working on it until impound ends, then impounding it and then spending another 30 minutes?
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

winneratlife wrote:
Primate wrote:New York just had their state competition this weekend, and ran the event rather surprisingly. At impound, we were required to set up our device in the typical thirty minutes. Of course, they failed to announce this until impound, so we showed up with only two of our three team members. We then got five additional minutes to plug in batteries the day of competition. While I don't doubt it's a more efficient way to run the event, it certainly throws you off.

Now that states is done with and over, I was thinking about what the event'll be like next year. It seemed to run smoothly, so I don't doubt that they'll be running Mission next year. When they did have the event last year, did the transfer requirements change from year-to-year? I know the rules are more specific now, so how do you think they'll change it up for next year? I'm sure there'll be plenty of teams at nationals hitting exactly the target time, so I think they'll definitely institute a better tiebreaker. I'm more worried in terms of tasks, and how much gutting my device will need.

Thoughts?
Wait? So, what's stopping you from working on it until impound ends, then impounding it and then spending another 30 minutes?
theoretically you could just work on it till you had a minute or two left for impound and then impound
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

winneratlife wrote:
I pretty much did that. Except I got there well before impound even started so I just went into the room and did a few practice runs in the exact spot I actually ran it for competition. They may have asked people not to work on them during impound. I have never tried running it during impound. If anything, I would do practice runs somewhere else and impound at the last moment.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

winneratlife wrote:
Common sense, maybe?

I run a very tight Mission & Junkyard at Indiana. No nonsense. For Mission, the entire impound time is available for repair/test time. Doesn't count towards the 30 minutes. This is the time for checking over the device, unpacking it from travel mode, and fixing anything that broke in transit. At END of impound, all work stops. FINAL task lists are due then (I allow changes up to the end of impound, and haven't had a problem in 15 years). Teams are SHOWN target time upon arrival for their 30 minutes. While all this is happening, competitor/spectator separation is strictly enforced; no warnings.

SO, the above idea has NO advantages. . . you'd have to move (disturb) your device.

Junkyard is somewhat different, but with the same results.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!

Return to “Mission Possible C”