Some questions

shoe2
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Some questions

Post by shoe2 »

Hi, I live in Washington state; our state meet is next Saturday.
Being new to this, I'd like to have some rules clarified...

1. When the rules say that the "ideal" operation time is 60-90 seconds at state, does it mean:
- Points will stop being awarded (7.a.i.)at the 60 second mark and will start being docked (7.b.i.) at the 90 second mark,
- Each state has individually decided on an ideal operation time that is between 60-90 seconds and it is posted somewhere online,
- or they will let us know when we arrive at the state meet what the 'surprise' ideal operation time will be?

2. Also, I want to know if this would work for the shaft (4.c.): we have basically a rack and pinion thing, but the pinion is moving and the rack is fixed. The motor is attached to a gear box and it rides along the rack. The 'mass' that we'd move is attached to the moving motor by tape or string.
We will probably stick to a different design to play it safe, but I was curious if the above would work.

3. I've read some things on this website mentioning bonuses, like the shoelace one. This year, is the bonus the extra 30 points associated with 4.c, or is it some deeper, darker secret I have yet to find?

4. I know I'm tiring you with questions, but I read on the sci oly wiki about having a list of energy transfers... that is all from 2005, right?

Thanks for your help
Primate
State: NY

Re: Some questions

Post by Primate »

1. You're correct in your last assumption--the "ideal" operation time will be announced the day of the competition, usually during impound. You'll have to adjust your device to hit this time during your thirty minute setup time, or possibly during impound if your supervisor allows it.

2. I don't see why that wouldn't qualify. A rack and pinion is hardly any different from a wheel on the ground.

3. The shoelace knot tying was a bonus for the old mission possible event. This year, the only bonus is the thirty seconds of the moving mass, which you can easily accomplish. Therefore, the key to winning is getting as close to the ideal time as possible.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
shoe2
State: WA

Post by shoe2 »

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I have one more question... just popped into my head

When the rules state that only the flag and flagpole can leave the imaginary box, how far can we stretch the definition of a 'flagpole'? Is it restricted to just a rectangular or circular rod, or can it be any shape? Can it have more than one piece? (i.e. a short, flat piece of wood taped to a long, thin rod)
If you need a picture of what we have for our 'flagpole' to answer this question, just let me know.

Thanks again
Zsharma

Post by Zsharma »

I would say that anything supporting the flag would be considered a flagpole. However, I'm not sure if the judges at state will be generous with their scoring, so if I were you I'd play it safe and stick to a traditional flagpole.

BTW I see that you're in WA as well :D
What school??
2010 placement (CHS tournament, Aviation, Regionals, State)
Physics Lab 1st, 1st, 1st, 9th
It's About Time 1st, 1st, 2nd, N/A
Mission Possible 1st, 1st, 9th, 3rd
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

I don't know if this rules clarification helps you out at all, but it does specify that flagpoles do not have to be limited to just a pole.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

Return to “Mission Possible C”