New Jersey 2010

sewforlife
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Jersey 2010

Post by sewforlife »

fanjiatian wrote:
SOninja wrote:Wow that's incredible for div B!
what team are you on?
good job & welcome to scioly! :D
HI. I"m from Montgomery in Division B. My bridge did well in practice, but failed in competition. I chose a light piece of wood that happened to be very weak. I spent a long time building my bridge with my dad. We carefully cut, glued and sanded the wood. We even weighed the pieces of wood to find the lightest piece. In practice, i got as high as 1200. But, in competition, we got four hundred something. That's disappointing, but I learned a lesson. But, I learned a lesson. lighter isn't always better. Sanding too much is also bad. Next time, I will try using medium density balsa wood, or practice loading quicker. I will also be conservative while sanding. I can't help but think that we could have easily beat mt. hebron had I chosen a stronger piece of wood. But, wood is an organic product. It's unpredictable and not uniform in quality. this is what makes building hard. It's not linear like taking a test.
By the way, which team are you on? Montgomery? ;)
you might want to move this to the Bridge Thread, they are really helpful. And also, wat new horizon said, that you should try being consistent. There are also a lot of factors besides "lightness" and how "heavy" the wood is. sanding isn't always something you have to have either, messes up the joints
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
fanjiatian
Division: Grad

Post by fanjiatian »

Blackkitty wrote:im from MHMS and yeah the bridge was built like the week before and only weighed 14.33
The funny thing was that my dad doesn't believe in sanding and he said not to sand it . But, I sanded and baked it down to 14.33 from 14.7
HAHAH into his face thanks to me we got first
Are any of you from Community? Thats who we beat out. What was their design like?
Their design is sort of like mine. It has two triangular legs. I don't really remember anything else. It's really simple from the front view, but they have a lot of bracings. They had like ten bracings. If they didn't have a lot of bracings, their bridge would have been a lot lighter. My bridge was 9.68 grams. It could have done a lot better though. In practice, i got 1200 efficiency, but at competition i got around 400. I learned my lesson. I shouldn't sand too much or pick pieces of wood that are very light.
soobsession
Division: C

Post by soobsession »

fanjiatian wrote:
Blackkitty wrote:im from MHMS and yeah the bridge was built like the week before and only weighed 14.33
The funny thing was that my dad doesn't believe in sanding and he said not to sand it . But, I sanded and baked it down to 14.33 from 14.7
Are any of you from Community? Thats who we beat out. What was their design like?
Their design is sort of like mine. It has two triangular legs. I don't really remember anything else. It's really simple from the front view, but they have a lot of bracings. They had like ten bracings. If they didn't have a lot of bracings, their bridge would have been a lot lighter. My bridge was 9.68 grams. It could have done a lot better though. In practice, i got 1200 efficiency, but at competition i got around 400. I learned my lesson. I shouldn't sand too much or pick pieces of wood that are very light.
it'd be cool if you guys moved this discussion to the bridge thread. :roll:

in the meantime, what do you think of the results? some of the placings were a bit unexpected...

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

soobsession wrote:
fanjiatian wrote:
it'd be cool if you guys moved this discussion to the bridge thread. :roll:

in the meantime, what do you think of the results? some of the placings were a bit unexpected...
I'm disappointed with the fact that my bridge did a lot worse than in practice, however I can fix that problem next time.
I'm happy that Community improved their design. I expected to improve their design, I just didn't expect that my bridge would do as bad as it did. Well, there's no point in sulking. I can't stop laughing when I think about Mt. Hebron, since they beat Community by ONE single efficiency point. Imagine how mad Community is....
sewforlife

Post by sewforlife »

especially when they laughed at some many other people's bridges. now, we laugh in their face. when I was over at the efficiency scoreboard, they were all like, FIRST PLACE. and then we took out our calculators when they left. and it turns out they actually lost by 1.6 points. :lol:
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Blackkitty
State: NJ

Post by Blackkitty »

oh you were there too? I think I was there! What stunk wsa that the event managers didn't know how much sand was in the bucked. Ss the bridge broke at like 17 kg (overbuild). I would have liked to keep the bridge intact.
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Blackkitty wrote:oh you were there too? I think I was there! What stunk wsa that the event managers didn't know how much sand was in the bucked. Ss the bridge broke at like 17 kg (overbuild). I would have liked to keep the bridge intact.
Really? Well I wouldn't have known anyways. My bridge failed prematurely. I think you know that from my previous posts. Ha, that sucks. There's bad management even at States. I hope it isn't like that at Nationals. My team might go as a second place team. It depends on how many teams withdraw. Did you get my tip about bracings for the bridge forum?
sewforlife

Post by sewforlife »

Actually, in Nationals this event is run very smothly. They use water instead of sand, and the water is dispensed through a lever system, and you don't even use a can/cup to scoop the sand into the bucket.
edit: yes, blackkitty, I was there, I saw people calculating without a calculator, and by the eye, it looked like Community was ahead, but it wasn't true.

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
sciencegeek100
State: CA

Post by sciencegeek100 »

Blackkitty wrote:Hey im a first time user but wanted to say that my bridge from states one first place by ONE point
1047 to 1046 Division B
When I was loading it up the adreline was crazyyyyy.............

gg on your spelling, its 'won' not one.... LOL
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
soobsession
Division: C

Post by soobsession »

Hey. Just wondering if there's anyone from New Jersey that's going to Six Flags Great Adventure for Physics Day on Friday May 21st? It'd be cool to see some science olympians there.

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”