Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2010

Post by RndmPplPrsn »

Terpsichore wrote:
srsvball95 wrote:
big D wrote:good show LASA good show. However, it would be nice to see some other team win every once in a while. I mean it must get a little tiring always winning. you have to lug around those heavy trophies around and deal with those cursedly heavy medals dangling from your neck. Really, some other team in Texas needs to put its game face on and step up to LASA. Although, at this point, I would be willing to settle for a single team that just held its own. A team that made LASA sweat a little bit. A team that would make them question whether or not they will win a given competition. That is the team i am looking for. This post is my plea. please! oh please! other teams from the great state of Texas step your game up and give LASA something to worry about.

That is all and i thank you for your time
Sincerely,
A man with too much free time and a love of competition

Next year, everyone from Beckendorff A is moving up to C. The only problem is, at our high school (Seven Lakes) we don't have as good a coach as we do now so everything we do will be all on our own with parent support.

Division B Results:

1. Beckendorff Junior High A
2. Beckendorff Junior High B
3. St. John Berchmans Catholic A
4. Riverwood Middle School A
5. St Thomas Aquinas Catholic School
6. Kealing Middle School A
7. Kelly Lane Middle School A
8. Hutto Middle School B
9. Kelly Lane Middle School B
10. All Saints Catholic School A
Yeah, we're pretty much student led...we have officers and stuff but most of the work is don independently. High sschool is a lot of work! But we're doing really good considering no one really studies except at our cram sessions. But we have team practices every friday, so yeah...but we have SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!! its pretty crazy...
I agree with the LASA thing. I wish it would be my team. I think that we are pretty good for coming from such a small, underfunded school, and a young team at that. Not to mention, if we do well this year at regionals, I'll be psyched since we lost our awesome coach. No offense LASA, but you need to take the "cockiness level" down, several notches. We understand, you're amazing.
09-10

N.Y.O.S. Charter School

State: 1st: Trajectory, 6th: History of Science, 11th: Picture This

North Lake Regionals: 3rd: Trajectory, 4th: Picture This, 4th: History of Science

Hutto Invitationals: 2nd: Picture This, 4th: Forensics, 4th: Trajectory
RndmPplPrsn
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by RndmPplPrsn »

In C it should be 31. 30 schools that qualified for State, and also an invited school from Mexico. I believe it's usually Thomas Jefferson, or something along those lines.
09-10

N.Y.O.S. Charter School

North Lake Regionals: 3rd: Trajectory, 4th: Picture This, 4th: History of Science

andrew418
Division: Grad

Post by andrew418 »

RndmPplPrsn wrote:I agree with the LASA thing. I wish it would be my team. I think that we are pretty good for coming from such a small, underfunded school, and a young team at that. Not to mention, if we do well this year at regionals, I'll be psyched since we lost our awesome coach. No offense LASA, but you need to take the "butterfly level" down, several notches. We understand, you're amazing.
To be completely fair, the person who posted that is a graduate of LASA, not a current team member.

I want to assured that the current members LASA team doesn't feel that way, and that what Big D posted was not the opinion of the LASA team or coaches. He was just expressing a desire for Texas Science Olympiad to rise to the levels of success as other states like Ohio and Pennslyvania, because he wants for LASA to rise to national prominence. He simply became carried away in his rhetoric and took an overly sarcastic tone.

As I am also a recent LASA graduate, I understand that it is a very difficult transition to stop being a part of science olympiad (which is why I continue to post in this forum). I think of the current LASA team almost as children, and so does Big D. So I hope you forgive him (and myself) when we at times get carried away in our comments.

But please don't judge LASA or it's current members by that comment. They're a great group of people, and you should try to meet them if you have the opportunity at state. And if you're lucky, if you ask one of them them to teach you to Salsa dance, he/she might grant your request... ;)
LASA 2009; UC Berkeley 2013
chubaca56

Post by chubaca56 »

Does anyone know the results for the Valley and Laredo regionals? Just 2 more regionals to go! Corpus Christi and Dallas! :D
chubaca56

Post by chubaca56 »

Congrats to LASA! They have done a wonderful job in SO. The best scores and placing in high school history at Nationals, only matched by Westview Middle School back in the 90's.
On the other hand; what if Cy Fair I.S.D. or any other large district, had a science magnet school just like LASA and recruited their best science kids from all over the district too? There would be just as strong a SO team there also. When a district brings together their brightest and best in science, you should have a strong program. LASA has done just that, and they are good! :D The nation of SO has noticed LASA and their accomplishments. I am equally excited about the strength of our other high schools that do challenge LASA and make it a fun state competition. Everyone study harder and design better, and just do your best!!! Good luck at STATE! ;)
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

chubaca56 wrote:Congrats to LASA! They have done a wonderful job in SO. The best scores and placing in high school history at Nationals, only matched by Westview Middle School back in the 90's.
On the other hand; what if Cy Fair I.S.D. or any other large district, had a science magnet school just like LASA and recruited their best science kids from all over the district too? There would be just as strong a SO team there also. When a district brings together their brightest and best in science, you should have a strong program. LASA has done just that, and they are good! :D The nation of SO has noticed LASA and their accomplishments. I am equally excited about the strength of our other high schools that do challenge LASA and make it a fun state competition. Everyone study harder and design better, and just do your best!!! Good luck at STATE! ;)
I have one question, who has challenged LASA?

Last year at state they made history by scoring 38 points at state. They had no challengers. This year they swept Cyfalls, and Greenhill Invitationals, and placed second at an invitational in Ohio against some of the strongest schools in the nation. So who challenges them. Last year they were 100 points ahead of the second place team, the challenge at state was who would get second. This year is not looking much better for other schools, so how is it a challenge for them. The challenge for the other high schools is to beat them in individual events, few if any have the possibility of challenging them as a team. They have the advantage that the school can focus the whole curriculum on Science Olympiad if they want, while other schools have to do all of their studying where they can find time before and after school.

I am not trying to put down LASA's accomplishments, for they are amazing. But you must remember that they are a magnet school with the money and ability to do what they need to do to be the best at Science Olympiad. I congratulate them for what they have accomplished, but my original question still stands, who has challenged LASA?
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
chubaca56

Post by chubaca56 »

There have been many really good teams before LASA. Langham Creek, Connally, Cy Falls, have all done well before LASA did. Some of these teams were state champions while LASA had a team. State champion teams come and go in SO as their coaches stay with a program. Several examples; Langham Creeks head coach left and the program went down, Cy Falls head coach left and the program slips from dominating as the state champion, John Connally's head coach leaves and their program slowly slips out of the picture. The same is true for Lamar, Park Crest, Westview, Kelly Lane, and Hyde Park Baptist, their head coach leaves and the program suffers. The current LASA team is winning, but the time will come when their head coach leaves and the program will change and another school will take their place in dominance. Yes, LASA is a good team, and they should enjoy their place in the Tx S.O. program. :) I'm glad the push is there for excellence in Science Olympiad. The teams will get better in time!
walkingstyx

Post by walkingstyx »

I would like to correct a few misconceptions about LASA that have shown up in this recent conversation.

First: We are not a science magnet. We are a general magnet, which means that we have more difficult English and History classes, which take away time from studying. We are also a small school with less than 1000 people, and half of them are coming to LASA for the Liberal Arts program, so we do not have a monopoly on all the science talent in Austin. Even then, not all the good people come to Scio. Quite a few go to robotics and most just don't do any extracurriculars at all.
Second: Our curriculum is not devoted to Scio. We do have one elective Scio class, but do to the way our elective system is set up, only upperclassmen can take it. Less than half our team is in this class. Our normal science classes have no connection to Scio at all.
Third: Money. You think we have money? We are by far the poorest school in the AISD district, everything is going to fixing failing TAKS scores. LASA Scio gets it money by fund-raising and solely by fund-raising.
Fourth: Losing a head coach automatically makes a team suck. Solon lost their head coach in 1998 and the next year placed in the top ten at Nationals. They continued to do so for many more years.

LASA's success comes from a competitive mindset and devotion to Scio. Any of you could do it, you just haven't chosen to. We would love to see more competition in our home state.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
srsvball95

Post by srsvball95 »

At least Texas has SOME representation at Nationals. LASA shows the United States that Texas does have teams to be reckoned with. And great teams are not always magnet schools or science academies. There are a lot of public schools that are good- Riverwood and Woodcreek for example. But I think eventually teams will form here in Texas that will give LASA a run for their money. It just takes time. Our friends in Ohio have been doing Science Olympiad for the past 26 years. That's why they're so good-they've had the time to evolve their programs. And I think in time, the same thing will happen here in Texas. I definitely think that in time, there will be other Division C teams that will be a challenge to LASA. So to answer your question rocketman, I think that LASA's challenge isn't here yet. I think that whichever school they are, I think they're still being formed. I think in a few years however, LASA may have some serious competition right at home.
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
RndmPplPrsn
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by RndmPplPrsn »

By my previous comments I was wishing to provoke a thoughtful comment like that, thank you. However in the past I have had some problems with LASA, shown by the team in general, or at least a few select members. Such as people standing up way before the announcer has announced first place for that event or tournament. If you win that often, and by such margins it's understandable, but they could hold back their pride for another thirty seconds or so and accept their medals graciously. Also in their name it states what the school is, Liberal Arts AND Science Academy. I also want to note that you may be the poorest school in AISD, but my school, is in Austin, however not part of AISD. I am 99% positive that we have that sad title. I guess though, that I shouldn't have start a "my school is more disadvantaged than yours" argument. Look to see y'all at State, and hope for a fair and good competition.
09-10

N.Y.O.S. Charter School

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”