Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2010

Post by srsvball95 » March 18th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Division B- 30 teams
Division C- 30 teams plus 1 team from Mexico

Last Regionals are next Saturday (27th) :)
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni

smarticle13
Division: B

Post by smarticle13 » March 19th, 2010, 9:46 am

srsvball95 wrote:Division B- 30 teams
Division C- 30 teams plus 1 team from Mexico

Last Regionals are next Saturday (27th) :)

really? I didn't know there was a science olympiad team in Mexico
13 Medals:
Dynamic Planet (2nd place and 3rd place)
Elevated Bridge (3rd place)
Meteorology (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 3rd place and another one at State!)
Road Scholar (1st place)
Shock Value (3rd place)
Solar System (1st place, 4th place)
We've Got Your Number (1st place)

srsvball95

Post by srsvball95 » March 19th, 2010, 10:18 am

Yup. They are Thomas Jefferson High School. They're at the bottom of the list here: http://outreach.science.tamu.edu/tso/20 ... _teams.php
Beckendorff Alumni

smarticle13

Post by smarticle13 » March 19th, 2010, 12:09 pm

I looked at the history of teams that went to the nationals from texas, and I saw Kealing and Kelly Lane went consecutive times. I think we can beat them though. ;)
13 Medals:
Dynamic Planet (2nd place and 3rd place)
Elevated Bridge (3rd place)
Meteorology (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 3rd place and another one at State!)
Road Scholar (1st place)
Shock Value (3rd place)
Solar System (1st place, 4th place)
We've Got Your Number (1st place)

srsvball95

Post by srsvball95 » March 20th, 2010, 10:08 am

I wouldn't get too confident though. Kealing has a pretty much brand new team this year and they have improve TREMENDOUSLY since Greenhill (48 points at Regionals). They've been going to Nationals every year for a long time and they aren't going to give it up easily this year. They are definitely a team to be reckoned with. It's good to be motivated to beat them, but don't underestimate them. I'm not saying that you are being cocky by saying that, because you aren't. I'm just saying be careful. That's what happened to a lot of my team last year. We got cocky after winning Regionals and then we missed Nationals by a mere 3 points. And trust me, getting 3rd by 3 points is a LOT worse than getting any other place. There are some teams out there that have been quiet this whole year who may just creep up on you and beat you, you have to be careful. My advice to everyone, study like crazy because you never know who may snatch one of those two Nationals spots away from you.
Beckendorff Alumni

Mimsie

Post by Mimsie » March 20th, 2010, 2:02 pm

My first year at Beckendorff we were the last to qualify from our region (at a shameful place of 5th out of 20 some) then at state we did abysmally and placed something like 15th (Ask L). But my 8th grade year we went from a no-namer all the way to 5th place at state (With a NS) and first place in our region. You just have to work hard and be happy with what you get. And that's all there is to it :)

Best of luck to you all!
This IS SPARTA!! - Proud Grad of Seven Lakes Science Olympiad

Avis_de-Incendia

Post by Avis_de-Incendia » March 20th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Dang, you guys make me nervous >>
Hello! :]

Quark
Division: C

Post by Quark » March 20th, 2010, 5:39 pm

The biggest thing about predicting is that the predictions are often wrong (ask Kansas and N. Iowa about that). In my 7th grade year at Kealing, we placed 4th at Regionals before winning state (for one thing, we were all really spooked and studied like crazy). The opposite can just as easily be true. Everything can change in those few months between Regionals and State. Anything (or anyone) can happen (and engineering events can break), so you need to be as prepared for anything as is possible.
LASA.

Juce7
Division: C

Post by Juce7 » March 20th, 2010, 7:48 pm

srsvball95 wrote: That's what happened to a lot of my team last year. We got butterfly after winning Regionals and then we missed Nationals by a mere 3 points. And trust me, getting 3rd by 3 points is a LOT worse than getting any other place. There are some teams out there that have been quiet this whole year who may just creep up on you and beat you, you have to be careful. My advice to everyone, study like crazy because you never know who may snatch one of those two Nationals spots away from you.
Not trying to be negative to you here, but as fas as I can remember, we didn't get too butterfly at all, we were pretty scared of Kealing and Kelly Lane too. And I do agree with that, Kealing and Kelly Lane are historically good teams, and are going to teams to be reckoned with at state, so no one's a sure shot. And predcitions are there for fun, in my opinion(not trying to shoot anyone down) they don't count toward your success; whether they're on or off, it doesn't really matter. To some people they can be motivators though, I don't know.
The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits
~Albert Einstien

To be in Science Olympiad, you have to posess both

Sanity is something no proper Science Olympian has

Mimsie

Post by Mimsie » March 21st, 2010, 3:43 am

Quark wrote:The biggest thing about predicting is that the predictions are often wrong (ask Kansas and N. Iowa about that). In my 7th grade year at Kealing, we placed 4th at Regionals before winning state (for one thing, we were all really spooked and studied like crazy). The opposite can just as easily be true. Everything can change in those few months between Regionals and State. Anything (or anyone) can happen (and engineering events can break), so you need to be as prepared for anything as is possible.
Haha, and don't we know it! In 2008 BDJH wasn't even in the top 7 or something ridiculous like that for predictions.
This IS SPARTA!! - Proud Grad of Seven Lakes Science Olympiad

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”