Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2010

Post by Deeisenberg » February 13th, 2010, 8:24 am

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Wow, that really stinks, especially since all (or most) of you still would like to participate. :( Also it weakens Pennsylvania as a state since it has lost one of its hardest competitors and best representatives for nationals. Perhaps you could create some sort of group like EXCEL Homeschoolers or something if you all really want to continue...?
No, they could not do that, it is against the rules.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010

amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by amerikestrel » February 13th, 2010, 1:59 pm

The schedule's up for the NW region! And I don't have any conflicts! :D Is anyone else on here in this region?

http://www.clarion.edu/42152/
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

anon y mouse

Post by anon y mouse » February 13th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Sorry to hear that, bringitback. That's really a shame. Competing against Sewickley at states in B division was one of the highlights of my middle school olympiad. Good luck going forward.

Helix_Nebula_Freak
Location: Somewhere gazing at the stars and pondering the nature of man's existence

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak » February 13th, 2010, 5:26 pm

bringitback2010 wrote:Hi guys.
I realize this post is in response to what is now "old news", but I figured for some that might like to hear the record set straight, this is the deal with Sewickley Academy's Science Olympiad team (or lack thereof, perhaps I should say) for the 2009-2010 year.
I am a current Sewickley Academy student and was very upset to see Coach Erler leave at the end of the last school year. He was the one who got our team started, got me personally on board with Science Olympiad, and really helped us to thrive. Nearly everyone who got involved with Science Olympiad at our school got addicted to it, in a way, and we all worked extremely hard (often to the point of insanity) to get where we got in our four years. Naturally, even after we discovered that Mr. Erler was leaving, many of us still wished to have a Science Olympiad team. However, we found that the Science Department was a) very opposed to this for reasons that are still painfully unclear (when asked, we were told that it is "not real science", and that we should "consider doing PJAS"...), and b) full of faculty that are very good science teachers, but unwilling to make the commitment required as a Science Olympiad coach.
Many parents have gone in to talk to various persons in the administration in order to attempt to get permission to continue a team; while I cannot say for sure what has actually been said in these meetings, obviously the efforts have been futile.
So, no, you will not see Sewickley Academy (heh, maybe if I type it enough times people will start to spell it correctly) at regionals, or states, or nationals this year, and probably not for quite some time, if ever again. Know, however, that we certainly have not forgotten Science Olympiad and that it remains near and dear to our minds and hearts.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Well, speaking from the standpoint of Shady Side Academy... WE WILL ALL MISS YOU!!!!!!! I must confess... our invitationals were not the same without you guys... We loved having a rival! You guys really made it fun for us! And we felt almost like sibling teams... if you know what I mean. ;) Good luck with trying to get a team started up again. At Shady Side, we've totally been there and are rooting for you all the way!!!
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May

crabnebula143
Location: somewhere where they have really, really, really good food

Post by crabnebula143 » February 14th, 2010, 10:05 am

Dear bringitback/Sewickley team,

I just wanted to say we're all going to miss Sewickley this year!! You guys were a really , really, really phenomenal team. Good job at states and nationals all those years!! I'm really sorry that when your coach left administrators stopped olympiad . . I know I'd be butterflied off if that ever happened to me...

I never got to congratulate you guys because I never knew Sewickley people were on scioly. Anyways, great job at states last yr, coming in first with 94 points!?! That's ridiculously amazing. Good job at regionals for dominating. Good job at Solon . Congratulations at nationals, nothing less could be expected by by the top PA team .

We'll never forget your contribution to SO.

Good luck at bringing So back!!!

- crab nebula

PS. I totally agree with helix nebula ^_^
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'

nerdygrlz789
Division: B
Location: i hope the sun shines and it's a beautiful day, and something reminds you, you wish you had stayed.

Post by nerdygrlz789 » February 16th, 2010, 11:33 am

I agree with Helix_Nebula_Freak, from our perspective. :)

Brucester

Post by Brucester » February 18th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Regarding Sewickley, It really is a shame. It's a large to blow to Shady Side's SO team and competition. You were, in a way always our rivals, though you crushed us every time :lol:. Unless some team miraculously becomes amazing a regionals, I see SSA winning it because it was Sewickley and SSA (1st and 2nd) at regionals. Everyone else was quite a bit behind us. You pushed us to work harder and become better and were a pigeon of a team to go to nationals with! :D It's sad to see something like that, that you guys loved, to end that way! Agreed that it's a blow to PA's SO competition. Hope to see you guys competing again in the near future!

Brucester
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
22nd - Experimental Design

eta150

Post by eta150 » February 19th, 2010, 4:25 am

Do you know what's a shame? My school district just became the most controversial one in the country.
#ACESWILD

nerdygrlz789
Location: i hope the sun shines and it's a beautiful day, and something reminds you, you wish you had stayed.

Post by nerdygrlz789 » February 19th, 2010, 11:29 am

eta150 wrote:Do you know what's a shame? My school district just became the most controversial one in the country.
Well that sucks! Sorry to hear that! :? Well at least you get SO

sean9keenan

Post by sean9keenan » February 19th, 2010, 5:55 pm

eta150 wrote:Do you know what's a shame? My school district just became the most controversial one in the country.
And my school!
SoCal Event Supervisor. H2S2O for ever. Competed in Builds & Physics events

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”