Ohio 2010

penclspinner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2010

Post by penclspinner »

lllazar wrote:
wlsguy wrote:Not to beat a dead horse but...

At the Solon Invitational, LASA placed 3rd behind 2 teams from Mentor (within 4 points)
That would indicate that LASA would post a similar score to Mentor. (3rd or 4th at state in Ohio).

If history is any predictor, Solon will continue to dominate both B and C divisions.
Wow...School from Texas travels 1378 Miles to go to an invitational in Ohio.

Nah, Ohios not THAT competitive (cue sarcasm)...wat id like to know is why? There are plenty of science academies across the nation. I mean come on, population wise theyre not as high as New York or Cali. Wat makes Ohio SO competitive in SO. See wat i did tharr?

Back on track though, Solon will dominate, B and C.
I'd also wager that many of the science academies in those areas are not quite as interested in Science Olympiad as most other schools. To them Science Olympiad is not as worthwhile as say the Siemens Foundation Competition, Academic Decathlon, Science Bowl, all the other Olympiad (Math, Chemistry, Physics, Biology) and numerous Math competitions.
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

penclspinner wrote:
I'd also wager that many of the science academies in those areas are not quite as interested in Science Olympiad as most other schools. To them Science Olympiad is not as worthwhile as say the Siemens Foundation Competition, Academic Decathlon, Science Bowl, all the other Olympiad (Math, Chemistry, Physics, Biology) and numerous Math competitions.
True...and thanks for informing of the Siemens competition, i like the sound of that. Yes, ive never heard of it, :cry:
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

penclspinner wrote:
lllazar wrote:
wlsguy wrote:Not to beat a dead horse but...

At the Solon Invitational, LASA placed 3rd behind 2 teams from Mentor (within 4 points)
That would indicate that LASA would post a similar score to Mentor. (3rd or 4th at state in Ohio).

If history is any predictor, Solon will continue to dominate both B and C divisions.
Wow...School from Texas travels 1378 Miles to go to an invitational in Ohio.

Nah, Ohios not THAT competitive (cue sarcasm)...wat id like to know is why? There are plenty of science academies across the nation. I mean come on, population wise theyre not as high as New York or Cali. Wat makes Ohio SO competitive in SO. See wat i did tharr?

Back on track though, Solon will dominate, B and C.
^True that.
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
walkingstyx
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by walkingstyx »

I think it's more a case of attitude of the team members. I know we at LASA are not quite as good as the best teams in Ohio, but I think it's generally agreed upon that we are a pretty good team, and it has nothing to do with a lack of interest in other competitions. A kid from LASA won the Siemens Westinghouse competition this year, and our quizbowl team is almost as good, placing 11th last year. What has made a difference in helping LASA Scio become more competitive is learning the attitude from-- you guessed it-- Ohio alumni. Ohio thinks differently about Scio than the rest of us do, and that is what makes them more competitive.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
E Edgar
State: IN

Post by E Edgar »

walkingstyx wrote:Ohio thinks differently about Scio than the rest of us do...
Really? I would be interested to know what Ohio thinks about SO.

I think part of what makes a long-lasting great team is infrastructure. Many of the top teams have an incredibly established program with an enormous number of coaches and a powerful parent support group. I know that some schools even make Science Olympiad part of the curriculum and have classes devoted to the competition.

Occasionally a school without this will do really well but it often doesn't last.
With Ohio, the entire state Science Olympiad program is so well established (just look at the number of invitationals) that the best and brightest students join Science Olympiad and become motivated to work hard and succeed.

Of course, the reason the Ohio program is where it is is due to years of dedicated work by amazing coaches, alumni, and students.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
scienceolympiadist
State: OH

Post by scienceolympiadist »

I never heard of Science Olympaid being part of curriculum. Students learn the AP science classes just like anywhere else.
E Edgar

Post by E Edgar »

scienceolympiadist wrote:I never heard of Science Olympaid being part of curriculum. Students learn the AP science classes just like anywhere else.
My source is talking to people I know and this thread: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 39&p=83166.
My 2010 National Results
scienceolympiadist
State: OH

Post by scienceolympiadist »

I control-F'd "Ohio" and found no results, lol.
E Edgar

Post by E Edgar »

Oh yeah, sorry.

I didn't mean that Ohio schools had SO classes. I just know that some of the top schools in other states do that.
I guess I was more talking about what makes a strong team in general.
My 2010 National Results
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Now that i think about it Sci Oly classes would be really interesting...an hour a day and all the varsity can just come to the class one hour...different people working on different things, w/e theyre event may be...it could really work well. If the team members are motivated and know what they need to get done of course...i don't see the point for study events though...
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”