Ohio 2010

scienceolympiadist
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2010

Post by scienceolympiadist »

Congrats to State qualifying teams! Case Regionals was yesterday.
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

In Div. B, Solon got 1st and 2nd. Mentor (name was not called) got third.
Chardon got fourth, and Mayfield got fifth.
Four teams qualified, with Solon's extra team not counting towards states.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
mooble117

Post by mooble117 »

Actually, 5 teams qualified. Beachwood was the 5th. See y'all in Columbus!
scienceolympiadist

Will the States schedule ever be up?
dontsenditinthemail

Post by dontsenditinthemail »

just saw the Case results. Two scores under 100 for Solon shows they're looking good going into the end of the season, and Mentor broke 100 with 1 team so they obviously have the potential to compete for one of the top two spots although with each competition i think that Solon and Centerville pretty much separate themselves from the rest of the pack.
scienceolympiadist

dontsenditinthemail wrote:just saw the Case results. Two scores under 100 for Solon shows they're looking good going into the end of the season, and Mentor broke 100 with 1 team so they obviously have the potential to compete for one of the top two spots although with each competition i think that Solon and Centerville pretty much separate themselves from the rest of the pack.
Not so quick. I remember people were saying the exact same a year ago this time.
dontsenditinthemail

scienceolympiadist wrote:
dontsenditinthemail wrote:just saw the Case results. Two scores under 100 for Solon shows they're looking good going into the end of the season, and Mentor broke 100 with 1 team so they obviously have the potential to compete for one of the top two spots although with each competition i think that Solon and Centerville pretty much separate themselves from the rest of the pack.
Not so quick. I remember people were saying the exact same a year ago this time.
I agree it's a little early to simply give those two the spots, but I would also argue that last year Solon was better than Mentor. Just like the US Hockey team was able to win one game (the "miracle") against the Soviet's in 1980 but were not as good as the Soviet team (remember even the coach admitted that they would lose 9 times out of 10) Mentor did beat Solon at state (with some help from an elevator apparently) but from what i've heard Solon won throughout the year every single competition and was considered by many to be the top team in the state. Now they lost when it counted and there is no arguing that, but I would say that most would agree that overall, excluding one competition, the Solon team was always consistently better, and if the same type of thing happens again I believe that will again be the sentiment.
scienceolympiadist

But it's not important which team is the better team overall. Everyone just has that one chance to show what they got, fair or not.
dontsenditinthemail

I completely agree, I'm just saying what we saw last year is probably more of that "it happens 1/10 times" thing and wasn't necessarily based on the overall skill of the teams so we can't use what happened last year a predictor of what might happen this year. I will be the first one to say that Mentor going to nats and then placing top 10 shows they are obviously tremendously skilled, and they did beat Solon fair and square last year at State so they earned that right to compete.
scienceolympiadist

Going back then, "Solon and Centerville pretty much separate themselves from the rest of the pack" shouldn't be said too quickly. Sure those teams have shown that they've done pretty well compared to other teams, but no such a huge conclusion can be made yet, I think.

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”