Ohio 2010

AllowMeToRetort
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2010

Post by AllowMeToRetort »

Does anyone know how the B teams for Mentor, Centerville, and Salon did?

The fight does not always go to the strongest, nor the race to the swiftest, but that's the way to bet.

I predict Cville and Solon will go to nats, order TBD.
iloveherpes
State: OH

Post by iloveherpes »

Do you mean the Division B teams for the corresponding schools? Or the "second" teams for each of the schools? Also, to clarify for everyone else, I think AllowMeToRetort meant "Solon" instead of "Salon" in the first line.
AllowMeToRetort

umm..sry...I forgot it was illegal to make typos online :P.
Plus, some people pronounce it like Salon anyways. In fact, when I was sitting at home watching the Nationals Awards in Washington D.C., I'm pretty sure that's what they were saying. But I will make sure to watch my spelling in future posts.

I meant Division C. You know like most schools have like an A team that places higher and a B team or JV team or something like that. So I was just wondering how the other teams did considering that the top schools usually bring multiple teams to compete.
iloveherpes

Post by iloveherpes »

If I remember correctly, Centerville won, Solon's 2 teams got 2nd and 3rd, and Mentor got 4th. It was a pretty crazy tournament so sorry that I forgot the details. Anyone have the full list?
AllowMeToRetort

darn, two teams in the top three with all of the big Ohio names out to play? Solon looks like they did a good job without stacking. But Centerville still took home the big hardware. Darn, this is gonna be an intense States Competition. Cville has won the past couple of states, but wow Solon never ceases to put up a good fight. Let the countdown begin.
scienceolympiadist
Division: Grad

Post by scienceolympiadist »

less than 6 weeks now and counting
Brucester
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Brucester »

This is in regard to Division B Elevated Bridges at West Liberty Salem:
If you know any of the competitors on the Elevated Bridges team from Solon Middle School, please forward this to them:

At the recent West Liberty Salem tournament, the elevated bridges event got disorganized and the scoring was completely wrong. The first problem being the supervisors only brought 15 lbs of sand instead of 15 kg (HUGE difference) then they placed teams by the premise that lower scores are better. So everyone in the top 8, were actually the bottom 8, and the winning Solon team placed last. Shady Side's junior varsity team's bridge in reality placed dead last, but because of the mix up it ended up placing first. Now my partner and I, knowing our bridge had to have done better than theirs, went up and had them swap in our varsity teams as the first place. Only on the bus back did we realize the placement error. So all in all, we have these first place medals that we don't deserve and that the Solon team can expect to come in the mail very soon.

Thanks,
Brucester
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
22nd - Experimental Design
wlsguy
Division: Grad

Post by wlsguy »

Brucester wrote:This is in regard to Division B Elevated Bridges at West Liberty Salem:
If you know any of the competitors on the Elevated Bridges team from Solon Middle School, please forward this to them:

At the recent West Liberty Salem tournament, the elevated bridges event got disorganized and the scoring was completely wrong. The first problem being the supervisors only brought 15 lbs of sand instead of 15 kg (HUGE difference) then they placed teams by the premise that lower scores are better. So everyone in the top 8, were actually the bottom 8, and the winning Solon team placed last. Shady Side's junior varsity team's bridge in reality placed dead last, but because of the mix up it ended up placing first. Now my partner and I, knowing our bridge had to have done better than theirs, went up and had them swap in our varsity teams as the first place. Only on the bus back did we realize the placement error. So all in all, we have these first place medals that we don't deserve and that the Solon team can expect to come in the mail very soon.

Thanks,
Brucester
Let me help clarify what / how this occurred.

The scale used was accidently shifted from kg to lbs sometime before the start of the event. So, for the first time slot, every bridge was loaded with 15 lbs (not kg) of sand. This was not noticed until after the 1st time period. At that time, it was too late to change anything. The remaining time slots were also loaded with 15 lbs (not kg) of sand.
This basically caused many bridges to hold the entire amount. Using the formula, the lightest bridge then was the winner. While this was not the best situtaion, it was the only thing that could be done fairly. Had the unbroken bridges from the first time slot been recalled for re-testing, those teams could complain that the bridge was weakened by the first loading. Obviously we could have stopped the entire event but we felt it better to give the teams a chance to proceed with the setup and testing. Some of the teams wanted the experience with loading their bridge.
Anyway, It's hard to say what the winning score would have been in this situation.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Congratulations to the state qualifying teams from the Grandview Heights regional yesterday
piqua_stephen

Post by piqua_stephen »

good luck to everyone at the Piqua regional tomorrow.

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”