Ohio 2010

lllazar
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2010

Post by lllazar »

78 at a state level competition? That pretty much means top 3 or 4 in EVERY event.....and Ohios one of the most competitive states....wow.

Well, we have our National champions.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

lllazar wrote:78 at a state level competition? That pretty much means top 3 or 4 in EVERY event.....and Ohios one of the most competitive states....wow.

Lasa got 61 last year in Texas and placed 8th at nationals the same year
eyeball138
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by eyeball138 »

Not to say that Texas is a bad state, but Ohio is much better, and is probably the most competitive state. A 78 in Ohio is extremely impressive.
My SHMS Team Results:
Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 2nd
States- 4th

Regionals- 1st
States- 2nd
Nationals- 19th

C Division...
E Edgar
State: IN

Post by E Edgar »

cypressfalls Robert wrote: Lasa got 61 last year in Texas and placed 8th at nationals the same year
No offense but I'm not sure if Texas has ever produced a top ten school other than LASA (who has managed to come 8th). In contrast, Ohio has produced numerous national champions. What is more, last year's champion team (from Ohio) was just beaten by Solon by almost a 30 point margin. Therefore, although I agree that LASA is one of the very strongest teams in the nation, Solon has to be the favorite to win.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

Not to beat a dead horse but...

At the Solon Invitational, LASA placed 3rd behind 2 teams from Mentor (within 4 points)
That would indicate that LASA would post a similar score to Mentor. (3rd or 4th at state in Ohio).

If history is any predictor, Solon will continue to dominate both B and C divisions.
srsvball95
State: TX

Post by srsvball95 »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:
lllazar wrote:78 at a state level competition? That pretty much means top 3 or 4 in EVERY event.....and Ohios one of the most competitive states....wow.

Lasa got 61 last year in Texas and placed 8th at nationals the same year
Actually, 38 http://outreach.science.tamu.edu/tso/20 ... n_2009.pdf

But I completely agree that Ohio is a lot better than Texas. And while Solon will dominate in B and C, Magsig and Centerville will probably get in the top 4
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
tclme elmo
Division: B
State: HI

Post by tclme elmo »

Solon, Solon, Solon. Of COURSE. Ya they're amazing.
..hm I don't think anyone from the forums are from solon!
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

wlsguy wrote:Not to beat a dead horse but...

At the Solon Invitational, LASA placed 3rd behind 2 teams from Mentor (within 4 points)
That would indicate that LASA would post a similar score to Mentor. (3rd or 4th at state in Ohio).

If history is any predictor, Solon will continue to dominate both B and C divisions.
Wow...School from Texas travels 1378 Miles to go to an invitational in Ohio.

Nah, Ohios not THAT competitive (cue sarcasm)...wat id like to know is why? There are plenty of science academies across the nation. I mean come on, population wise theyre not as high as New York or Cali. Wat makes Ohio SO competitive in SO. See wat i did tharr?

Back on track though, Solon will dominate, B and C.
2011 Season Events~

kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

lllazar wrote:
wlsguy wrote: Nah, Ohios not THAT competitive (cue sarcasm)...wat id like to know is why? Population wise there so so. There are plenty of science academies across the nation. I mean come on, population wise theyre not as high as New York or Cali. Wat makes Ohio SO competitive in SO. See wat i did tharr?
The biggest reason, I would say, are the invitationals the state holds. Solon Middle School invitational has held 6 national tournament qualifiers before, and Magsig's is just as competitive. The same holds with the high schools. Solon High had LASA come over, and Mentor's invitational is right up there too. With the chance to compete at 5-7 practice tournaments right before nationals for state champions and runner-ups, it's not a huge surprise that Ohio is the strongest.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
lllazar wrote:
wlsguy wrote: Nah, Ohios not THAT competitive (cue sarcasm)...wat id like to know is why? Population wise there so so. There are plenty of science academies across the nation. I mean come on, population wise theyre not as high as New York or Cali. Wat makes Ohio SO competitive in SO. See wat i did tharr?
The biggest reason, I would say, are the invitationals the state holds. Solon Middle School invitational has held 6 national tournament qualifiers before, and Magsig's is just as competitive. The same holds with the high schools. Solon High had LASA come over, and Mentor's invitational is right up there too. With the chance to compete at 5-7 practice tournaments right before nationals for state champions and runner-ups, it's not a huge surprise that Ohio is the strongest.
Ahh, resources and dedication. Can't beat that...but wat id find interesting is to not only compete against other schools, but have competitions within your school before states/regionals, maybe even Nationals. I mean, they're bound to have 50+ kids. Have them compete for events frequently...make them keep their spot and give others chances to get better. Our tennis team does that...bad analogy i guess but if they have the resources, heck, they can do it.
2011 Season Events~

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”