New York 2010

ScienceIsMyLife
Division: C

Re: New York 2010

Postby ScienceIsMyLife » November 16th, 2009, 8:53 am

We have the full team do event sign-ups and then do individual event testing to determine the best people for each event. We do event prep from there.
I <3 SciOly

2009: 5th Picture This
2008: 3rd Environmental Chemistry
2006: 3rd Disease Detective (Div B)

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Postby Phenylethylamine » November 17th, 2009, 5:08 pm

We have open participation, essentially, although any extras after our five teams are filled end up as alternates (chosen based on apparent motivation, what events people are doing, and often just how well the captains know people). On varsity, events are pretty much just assigned, although there's sometimes testing if a dispute over who's doing a specific event needs to be resolved. The other four teams just assign events to some extent as well, but there's testing for most events.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

HappySciencePie
State: NY

Postby HappySciencePie » November 17th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Heh. Now I see why our school has so many teams. xD
Anybody can join Science Olympiad in our school, and we all find partners and practice our events on specific days together.
Some time before invitationals, we make teams based on who can go. By regionals, some people have either gotten booted because of their inactivity in Science Olympiad, or they just quit. We make our actual teams, since most if not all of us can go. After regionals, our coach reads off a list of who's gonna be on the states team, and who can be an alternate. The states team is made up of the people who did well at regionals, and the alternates are the people who are able to help the team. The rest of the people just.. don't go anymore. The states team is basically the same as the nationals team if we make it, unless someone can't go. :[
At least, that's how I think it goes. xD
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3

skiblack331

Postby skiblack331 » November 23rd, 2009, 12:25 pm

Hey, I'm from the Lake Erie Region. We ordered our rules manuals, or at least supposedly did, and they never arrived after a month. I ordered them myself from my house, and they arrived in less than a week. Then, I was told that the schedules for regionals would be made by the 12, almost two weeks ago. My team still hasn't received the schedule for regionals. Has anyone in my region received one, or know where I can get one? This is really putting our team behind. Thanks for the help.
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » November 23rd, 2009, 2:06 pm

Yes, all that has come in. My old team got their rules manual over a month ago. I believe there was a meeting for coaches on November 9th where the time schedule was distributed.

Your coach needs to contact Mrs. Toy or Mrs. Herman (regional directors). The competition is at UB this year.

skiblack331

Postby skiblack331 » November 23rd, 2009, 4:58 pm

My coach has contaced Mrs. Toy, but we haven't received anything yet. Every year, there's something that delays our team. I don't know if it's just our school, our district, or everyone in the region. Sometimes it's a little painful having these delays.
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » November 23rd, 2009, 5:12 pm

It seems to be a trend in the region. We always had problems getting responses from Mrs. Toy. Usually we get responses from Mrs. Herman (I think that's how her name is spelled). She's the assistant director or something - she should also be able to get you the info you need.

camdendevil58

Postby camdendevil58 » November 25th, 2009, 7:24 am

Does anyone know if for It's About Time that it is required to make the clock as silent as possible? If it is not will we face point deductions?
Jeff
1st place trajectory states

Science Olympiad: Where stereotypes come to life!!

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » November 25th, 2009, 2:09 pm

I'd think that that would not be a problem, but go to the rules and check to verify it. And this post would probably go better in the It's About Time thread:http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1260
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

RandomPerson
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: IN

Postby RandomPerson » December 4th, 2009, 1:32 pm

If any of you has a good chance to upset FM, now would be the year. The sophomore percentage is high, and the senior percentage is low in comparison to recent years.

(If you're wondering why I'm saying this, its because I'm a little annoyed at our head coach, who could care less about our Team 2, and got really mad last year when the B team beat the A team in 2 events)
A new era has begun

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”