HappySciencePie
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2010

Post by HappySciencePie »

Seriously, this is the Internet. *Smack* D:

See, I think the reason why it feels nice to medal at Nationals is because a lot of the time, it's really a surprise. You know that any other team has the potential to medal, so you really can't go into competition expecting to.
Honestly, though, going to Nationals came off as a surprise to me this year. I kind of thought we wouldn't make the top 2 at States. We had a few problems before, and we lost a lot of our privileges. We were really lucky, no major disasters.

Just think of it this way: Even if you don't ever end up doing as well as you'd like while you're in Science Olympiad, just keep trying to get better. You're building the foundation for your team's future. Many of the people in WM (and Gneissisnice) who graduated from Gelinas came down here, and helped us out a lot. We probably couldn't have done as well as we did this year without them. :]
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by paleonaps »

I'm sorry for acting like a jerk. I didn't want to be one, but I guess that's how I sounded.
HSP is right though; we couldn't have done so well without you guys. And about the whole medal thing, she's right. It's the surprise that gets you.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
quizbowl13 wrote:i understand, but look - F-M has won for the past 10 years, i think. its nearly impossible, if not completely impossible, for them to NOT make it. and w-m is getting stronger than ever; they even challenged F-m this year. if you look at the scores, 2nd and 3rd was close to 150 points difference. since new york is the largest state, i think that we need to have the ability to send on a 3rd team. that would be much less of a downer for the other teams out here.
While in some ways that would make sense, the Nationals Qualification discussion in the Nationals section has basically concluded that the number of teams sent isn't likely to change any time soon. Thank you for saying that about WM; we try :D but seriously, with a whole lot of work, there's no reason why any team couldn't eventually make it to that level. It might take a few years, but a strong program built over time really works. The main reason WM does as well as we do is huge amounts of support from the Gelinas coaches, parents, etc. Our program at WM itself has its strengths, but the Gelinas SciO program is integral to our success (such as it is). Dedicated coaches and parents make a huge difference- both because of their own input and because they encourage dedicated kids.
I wish we could be in your team's situation - basically our team is completely student run. We do have a coach, but he doesn't really help out in any events. No parents have ever helped, and our school almost canceled our trip to regionals cause they favor Forensics ( the cult-club, not the event ) over us. Like they don't let us take a trip to Pennsylvania for an invitational but let them go to nationals in Omaha even when only one person was actually competing. We, the students, are our only resources, and since a lot of science teachers are annoyed with our coach, we often aren't even allowed to borrow textbooks and resources. I'm still pretty surprised that we, solely students, can manage 9 medals and 5th place at states. If we had some aid, we could be a real threat.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
tclme elmo
Division: B
State: HI

Post by tclme elmo »

quizbowl13 wrote:It's probably better to medal, or even win, at nationals
It feels good to win a medal no matter what. Even at regionals...
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

quizbowl13 wrote: I wish we could be in your team's situation - basically our team is completely student run. We do have a coach, but he doesn't really help out in any events. No parents have ever helped, and our school almost canceled our trip to regionals cause they favor Forensics ( the cult-club, not the event ) over us. Like they don't let us take a trip to Pennsylvania for an invitational but let them go to nationals in Omaha even when only one person was actually competing. We, the students, are our only resources, and since a lot of science teachers are annoyed with our coach, we often aren't even allowed to borrow textbooks and resources. I'm still pretty surprised that we, solely students, can manage 9 medals and 5th place at states. If we had some aid, we could be a real threat.
That sucks. If it weren't for the Gelinas program, we would be in a very similar situation (the WM head coach is... uh... less than fully dedicated, shall we say). Hopefully your situation will improve, but it's great that the SciO students are your school are motivated enough to manage that impressive finish :D That's amazing for a team that has no adult support.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
quizbowl13 wrote: I wish we could be in your team's situation - basically our team is completely student run. We do have a coach, but he doesn't really help out in any events. No parents have ever helped, and our school almost canceled our trip to regionals cause they favor Forensics ( the cult-club, not the event ) over us. Like they don't let us take a trip to Pennsylvania for an invitational but let them go to nationals in Omaha even when only one person was actually competing. We, the students, are our only resources, and since a lot of science teachers are annoyed with our coach, we often aren't even allowed to borrow textbooks and resources. I'm still pretty surprised that we, solely students, can manage 9 medals and 5th place at states. If we had some aid, we could be a real threat.
That sucks. If it weren't for the Gelinas program, we would be in a very similar situation (the WM head coach is... uh... less than fully dedicated, shall we say). Hopefully your situation will improve, but it's great that the SciO students are your school are motivated enough to manage that impressive finish :D That's amazing for a team that has no adult support.
Thanks, phenyl. We try really hard. But at least you guys HAVE a competent middle school system. Of the two schools that feed to us, one can't even crack the top 15 at regionals and the other barely makes states to fet in the 20s. Sorry if I'm being rather pessimistic, but our team needs help. Pronto. What might be the worst is that everyone on Scioly here talks about their 'coaches' and teachers who help them. We are basically our own coaches for EVERYTHING. What really amazes me is that 5 years ago, my school would have been happy with actually medaling at just one event at states, and in the past 5 years, we have gone from the mid-30s to the top few. The problem is that we have often relied on seniors, and we are losing much of our team...I hope we can remain strong.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

The Division B State competition is moving to SUNY Ulster.
In full color since 2006
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

blue cobra wrote:The Division B State competition is moving to SUNY Ulster.
O.O

I liked New Paltz... not that I'd be at Division B States anyway, but still...
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
blue cobra wrote:The Division B State competition is moving to SUNY Ulster.
O.O

I liked New Paltz... not that I'd be at Division B States anyway, but still...
double O.O
why are they changing the venue. I liked New Paltz too; i go to support the MS team.
That's also earlier than this year (and i mean before the pushed it back).
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
HappySciencePie

Post by HappySciencePie »

Aw, New Paltz was fun! We kept getting lost until we realized we were just walking around in that big circle..
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”