Indiana Science Olympiad

Quinjamincy
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indiana Science Olympiad

Post by Quinjamincy »

Out of curiousity, what was Northridge's time for egg-o-naut?
ODoyleRules
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by ODoyleRules »

Northridge's Time was 2 minutes 4 seconds.
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

I heard they intentionally broke their egg, is this true?
sciolyandmathcounts
Division: B

Post by sciolyandmathcounts »

I still don't know how I bombed Road Scholar so badly at states.........
WWMS 2010-2011!
Events:
Microbe Mission
Shock Value
Experimental Design
???????????
Friedoyster3

Post by Friedoyster3 »

sciolyandmathcounts wrote:I still don't know how I bombed Road Scholar so badly at states.........
i know what you mean
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
ODoyleRules

Post by ODoyleRules »

ktrujillo52 wrote:I heard they intentionally broke their egg, is this true?
Nope, live egg.
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

Well congrats to them. That is a very impressive time.
Horatio11

Post by Horatio11 »

Did anyone here take the Remote Sensing test? After I took it I wasn't very impressed with it as I felt that it was a crap shoot considering the difficulty and nature of the test. It also made me angry that over half the test could be found here on this site along with the answer key (check out the 2009 Greenhill test). I would really expect a more well thought out test considering it was the state tournament. But besides this, the other events I participated in were very well run :D
2010 events
Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Exp Design
peoneill

Post by peoneill »

@kjtrujillo: didn't you rock out in A&P? I graded the endocrine and did the totals and I thought you got 6th or 7th. Don't sweat the bonus essay, like three teams actually successfully did one. And I graded it wicked harsh, so spending time elsewhere was the way to go. What I'm wracking my brains over is how was the endocrine so hard for people? The average on identifying hormone classes was about 30% (random guessing would yield 20%!). That was the very first thing listed in the rules! I even highlighted the 4 rings on the steroid structure I showed, and enlarged the iodine atoms in the thyroid hormone structure. Only Bloomington North managed to get even one third of the endocrine credit and they got almost all of it - but those same two girls won Health Science in 1999 as freshmen when endocrinology was a topic before, and they've won national medals twice since then, too... Questions that weren't very complicated and came from the rules in a relatively straightforward way really stumped people for the endocrine section, while they were answering much more complicated questions on the skeletal and muscular without a problem. I'm curious... did people just not study the endocrine system as much? Or were they expecting something different? It's true high school texts SUCK at covering the endocrine system. Maybe that's the problem?

Chem Lab was RIDICULOUS it was so competitive. :D

Environmental chemistry was... um... less competitive. :? Although it was a TON of the same kids as Chem Lab. Perhaps I didn't correctly anticipate how much more difficult it is to study material that isn't in the normal high school curriculum.
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

peoneill wrote:@kjtrujillo: didn't you rock out in A&P? I graded the endocrine and did the totals and I thought you got 6th or 7th. Don't sweat the bonus essay, like three teams actually successfully did one. And I graded it wicked harsh, so spending time elsewhere was the way to go. What I'm wracking my brains over is how was the endocrine so hard for people? The average on identifying hormone classes was about 30% (random guessing would yield 20%!). That was the very first thing listed in the rules! I even highlighted the 4 rings on the steroid structure I showed, and enlarged the iodine atoms in the thyroid hormone structure. Only Bloomington North managed to get even one third of the endocrine credit and they got almost all of it - but those same two girls won Health Science in 1999 as freshmen when endocrinology was a topic before, and they've won national medals twice since then, too... Questions that weren't very complicated and came from the rules in a relatively straightforward way really stumped people for the endocrine section, while they were answering much more complicated questions on the skeletal and muscular without a problem. I'm curious... did people just not study the endocrine system as much? Or were they expecting something different? It's true high school texts SUCK at covering the endocrine system. Maybe that's the problem?

Chem Lab was RIDICULOUS it was so competitive. :D

Environmental chemistry was... um... less competitive. :? Although it was a TON of the same kids as Chem Lab. Perhaps I didn't correctly anticipate how much more difficult it is to study material that isn't in the normal high school curriculum.
Actually, I prefer endocrine over skeletal and muscular. Muscular is REALLY complicated. Endocrine is the way to go. :)
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”